Cub Cadet 5234D Transmission Problem? Locked Up?

/ Cub Cadet 5234D Transmission Problem? Locked Up? #1  

JohnDeereFarm

Tractor
John Deere 2030 / 1950 Case DC / 1973 John Deere 4230
Hello TBN people. I have a Cub Cadet 5234D subcompact tractor with a 60" Mid-mounted-mower. When I just got done mowing 4 acres of grass and traveling back up to the barn, there was a jerk and then I lost all hydraulics. When I pushed the tractor off the highway, I have discovered that the drive shaft that drives the rear hydraulic pump was lying on the road. When I towing up to the house, with my 1950 Case DC, it just twisted the shaft off of the hydraulic pump. When I took the pump off of the tractor and put a pair of vise-grips on it, it turned like it should. Now my fear is, did something jam up inside of the transmission ? (like a gear may of stripped and some teeth jammed other gears). The pictures below show the transmission on the tractor and the last 2 show the pump. In the photo, 2nd from the left, shows where the pump slide into. The bottom on turns as the wheels turns. Now the top one is hard to spin, but I'm assume that it is the PTO. I know that the transmissions in these tractors weren't the greatest.

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 1,336
  • IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 1,203
  • IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 1,678
  • IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 1,646
   / Cub Cadet 5234D Transmission Problem? Locked Up?
I don't know if anyone is still following, but I'll post this for other people out there that may experience this similar problem. The pump drive shaft yoke broke at the engine flywheel part of the driveshaft , thus causing the pump shaft to brake from the rotation. I replace the drive shaft yokes, pump shaft (with a new seal kit also), and new fan blade for around $ 200.00 . Took me about three hours to do this whole operation. Originally I thought it may be in the transmission, so I took the transmission out of the tractor and started to inspect it and found out everything seem to operate normally, so I put it back into the tractor. That took 20 hours of work.-->Well at least I know how it goes together lol.

/ Cub Cadet 5234D Transmission Problem? Locked Up? #3  
Sorry I did find this sooner, there is an inherent problem with the driveshaft.
Mine just went for the second time at 500+ hours. The last time they said it was due to the Woods backhoe on it, but the dealer that repaired it said he had replaced 4 already - and that was the first time it went, I wonder how many he's replaced 3 years later.
Hope you got it resolved...me, I'm going to have to sell this one and find something better !

/ Cub Cadet 5234D Transmission Problem? Locked Up? #4  
Hello! Hoping that OP is still active here but a bit of a long shot given the age of this post. I just purchased one of these tractors where this exact issue happened so I got it at a steep discount. I found a parts retailer that has the input shaft for the hydraulic pump but was warned to not just replace the shaft by a local repair shop as I would have to open up the pump and would have a low chance of getting it back together properly. Is this what you had to do to fix it? Or am I able to remove the shaft without opening up the unit? Thanks in advance!

/ Cub Cadet 5234D Transmission Problem? Locked Up? #5  
I bought a couple of these tractors used about 12 years ago or so and have kept them going so far. From all I have read and been told the hydro pump is not easily rebuildable correctly. Lots of them were destroyed either by the transmission locking up or due to vibration from the driveshaft. They are cheapo chinese tractors. Saying that, they are useful when used properly and maybe a little gently until they just begin to fall apart due to wear. You just have to measure whether the time and money you put into it will be productive and worthwhile. Attached is what is claimed as an alternative to the original hydropump. I have not checked into it at all but might be worth a look. BDP-21L-400 } USE PW-ZGRR-FY1X-XXXX obviously you have to verify the model of your hydro pump. Good luck

/ Cub Cadet 5234D Transmission Problem? Locked Up? #6  
Perfect thank you so much for the information! I do in fact have a BDP-21L-400 on my tractor so I'll look into this PW-ZGRR-FY1 hydropump

edit: Oh wait, I have a BDU-21L-400, not a BDP. Unfortunately that's a completely different hydropump :/ Regardless, I appreciate your input!

/ Cub Cadet 5234D Transmission Problem? Locked Up? #7  
Perfect thank you so much for the information! I do in fact have a BDP-21L-400 on my tractor so I'll look into this PW-ZGRR-FY1 hydropump

edit: Oh wait, I have a BDU-21L-400, not a BDP. Unfortunately that's a completely different hydropump :/ Regardless, I appreciate your input!
Oops, sorry, didnt catch that. I have seen a few used BDU-21L-400 around on the internet.