Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 240

Default Rotary cutter leaving half cut grass on the left side of the cutter

Why does my 60" rotary cutter leave half cut grass on the left side of the cut and a nice cut on the right half of the cut? I am running at 540 at the PTO and I have slowed the tractor down to third gear. The cutter is level and new blades are on.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: Rotary cutter leaving half cut grass on the left side of the cutter

are you sure it is level? pull out onto concrete. even a half inch height side to sde on the deck will stripe like that. most tractors have a leveling hnd crank to make up for that.

post back

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

not sure if they are made in 60", but some cutters are made for 1000rpms, could be your issue but I doubt they are made that small.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by mikehaugen View Post
    not sure if they are made in 60", but some cutters are made for 1000rpms, could be your issue but I doubt they are made that small.
    i'm not sure how rpm liek that type of difference would leave him striping?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, AC B, '39 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400

Probably from the tires packing the grass down. How tall is grass and is it wet?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

You are right, I was thinking about it more and had to come back.

I was thinking about the cutter turning ccw and the mower moving forward and the right side technically travelling faster.... I don't know why I was considering the tractor travelling speed having any effect on the cutting action- sorry, I am tired.

edit: that was in response to soundguy

Silver Member
    Tractor

Any chance one of those blades is upside down?

Tractor
    none

ARE YOU SURE THAT THE LEFT SIDE BLADE IS TURNING? PERHAPS THERE IS A SHEARED DRIVE KEY OR A BROKEN SHEAR BOLT THAT WILL ALLOW THE PULLEY ON THE LEFT SIDE TO SPIN ON THE PULLEY SHAFT, BUT WILL NOT DRIVE THE BLADE.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Quote Originally Posted by eeisch View Post
    ARE YOU SURE THAT THE LEFT SIDE BLADE IS TURNING? PERHAPS THERE IS A SHEARED DRIVE KEY OR A BROKEN SHEAR BOLT THAT WILL ALLOW THE PULLEY ON THE LEFT SIDE TO SPIN ON THE PULLEY SHAFT, BUT WILL NOT DRIVE THE BLADE.
    Or did the blade just come loose and is spinning on the shaft giving you a partial cut?

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Another possibility..... make sure both blades are installed correctly!!! If one is on backwards, could that do it??
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast