Hydrostat Transmission Question

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #1  

norcal

A dealer said that if the hydro trans breaksdown for some reason that the tractor will be stuck. In other words, the tractor can not be moved without dropping the drive lines or bleeding the hydrolic system. Unlike other transmissions, manual and GST, you simply can not put it into neutral to move it?

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #2  
Hydrostatic transmissions have a neutral. Not sure if your dealer wasn't trying to describe another fault condition or trying to scare you away from a hydrostatic trans.
DaveL

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #3  
Not true.....

Mine rolls by itself with the engine off and the drive selector in neutral. This is why I put it in gear and set the parking brake (plus lower implement and/or loader if attached) when I park it.

Something doesn't sound right with this dealer..... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mark

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question
He said something about disks inside the hydrolics/transmission and with no hydrolics the disk plates would lock up hence, locking up the drive train. The possible condition, he explained, was that your basically driving along and if the hydrolic system fails.... your stuck, no pushing the tractor like a manual transmission.

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #5  
Sounds as if you told this dealer you wanted a tractor with a hydrostat transmission and he doesn't have them.

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #6  
I can put my range selector in neutral and roll it anywhere I want. With the range selector in gear, there's no moving it.

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( He said something about disks inside the hydrolics/transmission and with no hydrolics the disk plates would lock up hence, locking up the drive train. The possible condition, he explained, was that your basically driving along and if the hydrolic system fails.... your stuck, no pushing the tractor like a manual transmission. )</font>

Kubota hydrostatic transmissions are basically an integrated
variable displacement hydraulic pump and motor. The motor
drives a conventional multi-gear transmission which also
allows the gears to disengage in the neutral position.
Thus even in the case where the hydraulic motor somehow
managed to lock-up, the motor shaft would be disconnected
from the rear differential in neutral.

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #8  
I just put mine in neutral and pushed it by hand cause I didn't want to start it for a few seconds to move it so I can't imagine that happening. I agree with the other posters, sounds like he's just trying to steer you away. Maybe he's got a gear tractor he really wants to get rid of.

By the way, my brother-in-law has a MF 35 and every once in a while the gears slip out of the yoke and it'll lock up the rear end sliding the tires till you break out the BIG screwdriver and pry the gears back in alignment so that's possible even with a geared tractor.

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #9  
Everything will break down eventually and when this happens you fix it.If breakdown and falure is your concern,then you don't want a tractor.Or a car,or a computer,or a push mower and you've got the point.

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question
Wow! Just trying to understand GST and HST. Apologies if I upset anyone. Have a nice day... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif