Hydrostat Transmission Question

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question
<font color="red"> </font> </font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi norcal,
Was at the Kubota dealer this past Sat and noticed even in gear the unti was rolling backward down a slight incline. This was w/ the engine running and midrange selected foot off the pedal. I always thought the transmission would hold but I guess not. So I asked the dealer and he was able to push the tractor around by hand even in gear engine running! That was surprising. So I think unless something goes very wrong you should be able to move it.
jimg )</font>

More misinformation? According to the dealer, if I was on a hill, even a 20-30 degree pitch hill, and had the tractor running, hydro trans in gear but not pressing either forward or reverse pedals -he said that the tractor would not move or it would move very, very slowly down the hill. Per Jimg's experience, Im not so sure...

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #22  
<font color="blue">More misinformation? According to the dealer, if I was on a hill, even a 20-30 degree pitch hill, and had the tractor running, hydro trans in gear but not pressing either forward or reverse pedals -he said that the tractor would not move or it would move very, very slowly down the hill. Per Jimg's experience, Im not so sure... </font>

That is exactly my experience with my Kubota B2910. If it wants to drift on a hill, I just touch the directional pedal slightly, in the up direction, and that seem to just about stop it dead.

There is no way that my tractor, if in gear, with the engine running, could be pushed from what I have seen...

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #23  
"Wow! Just trying to understand GST and HST. Apologies if I upset anyone. Have a nice day... "

Gosh, you have upset no one at all, hang around here on TBN and I will show you how to /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Please, stay, and join in.
My question back to the dealer would not be about his erroneous statement about not being able to move a Hydro tractor if the transmission breaks but instead I would ask when the last time it was that one broke. These Hydro Kubotas--and that is all I know about is Kubotas---simply do not break so he is trying to worry you about something that is nonexistent. Also, with the exception of the BX, I think most larger Kubota Hydros have a clutch which is used to engage the PTOs and also engages the driveline. With the clutch depressed it will move. I think he may be confused with real tractors vs little tractor styled riding mowers that have the little spring loaded lever on the back you can pull out to roll the tractor freely maybe?? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. J

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( would not move or it would move very, very slowly down the hill )</font>

That's consistent with my experience with my Kubotas. On a steep hill, they would roll downhill, but very, very slowly.

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #25  
*The guy was just a poorly informed salesman*

Interestingly enough... I called a local Kubota dealer a year or so ago (was a while after the L-48 came out, which was the topic of call)

He absolutely and clearly informed me that the L-48 had a removable loader... (not bucket, but loader).

I just agreed, said that was wonderful.

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Interestingly enough... I called a local Kubota dealer a year or so ago (was a while after the L-48 came out, which was the topic of call)
He absolutely and clearly informed me that the L-48 had a removable loader... (not bucket, but loader). )</font>

Hmmm. When I was doing the rounds a few months back, I went to the MF/Mahindra folks down the road to look at and talk about the Korean built Mahindras. The salesman absolutely insisted that all Mahindras were made in India.

The same salesman took my number and promised to call me back as soon as the model I was interested in arrived. He never did. The owner later told me he had to let the guy go.

SnowRidge

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #27  
Pacesetter3000: I have a large riding lawnmower with a Kohler engine and a Peerless hydro transmission/differential. This transmission works the same as yours in that there is a lever under the seat that you're supposed to move if you want to freewheel the mower. As you mentioned, this lever doesn't seem to do anything. The mower freewheels easily regardless of where the lever is positioned. I move it when I'm supposed to because I was brought up to follow instructions , but I really wonder if it's necessary.

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #28  
What about what's ailing my 'bota ? This was admittedly unusual but it does seem like a situation where a hydrostatic transmission got stuck. Not the same situation as the dealer erroneously described but...

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #29  
I wondered when someone was going to remember that one. Also the statement that Bota's do not break, sounds like another salesmans statement to me. Not trying to tick anyone off, that's just they way it read to me. Every brand breaks sometimes, even an Abrams Tank /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Hydrostat Transmission Question #30  
<font color="blue"> As you mentioned, this lever doesn't seem to do anything. The mower freewheels easily regardless of where the lever is positioned. </font>

Just because it freewheels easily doesn't mean you aren't damaging it. The lever might disengage the pump. If you are turning the pump over with the wheels, it might not be getting lubrication.