Where to weld hook attachments on bucket

/ Where to weld hook attachments on bucket #1  

Deliberate1

Friends,
My dealer is installing a FEL. Should I have him weld some sort of hook eye or other fittings that I could use to hook up chain for hauling or lifting. What is the best place on the bucket to do this?
Thanks

/ Where to weld hook attachments on bucket #2  
Yes, and there are a number of threads discussing this. Do a search on chain hooks and you should find some good advice, along with pictures. Want to make sure you weld to a strong point that won't interfere with the operation of the bucket, which varies from bucket to bucket.

/ Where to weld hook attachments on bucket #3  
I recently posted a couple of my pictures in the thread below. It is a 210 loader on a new JD 2210. There are extra reinforcement plates cleverly welded inside the bucket's upper lip. The dealer used (I requested) 5/16" grab hooks on the smaller loader and use 5/16" grade 70 transport chain. With a loader of greater capacity you should move up to 3/8" hooks.

Loader Hook Link

/ Where to weld hook attachments on bucket #4  
<font color="blue"> What is the best place on the bucket to do this?
</font>

See attached pic to view where I placed 3/8" grab hooks on my John Deere HD 73" bucket. They are placed directly in front of where the FEL arms hitch to the bucket. This will minimize the compromizing of bucket integrity when carrying or pulling heavy loads with the hooks as the FEL arms are carrying some of the load. Placing them on either end or in the middle of the bucket's upper lip may cause the bucket to bend under heavy load.

...Bob

Attachments

• 281251-HDbucket-HDtoothbar.jpg
    281251-HDbucket-HDtoothbar.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 450
   / Where to weld hook attachments on bucket #5  
....better balanced while moving loads, too.

/ Where to weld hook attachments on bucket
Many thanks, gentlemen.

/ Where to weld hook attachments on bucket #7  
I weld a heavy 2-2 angle iron across the top and cut slots in it in several places so that the chain can be droped into the slots. this reinforces the bucket and also gives you many options on where to hook the chain

/ Where to weld hook attachments on bucket #9  
One additional advantage of the 2 hooks placed in front of the FEL arms versus 3 placed at either end and in the middle is if one is trying to pull something with these hooks, like a stump, log, etc. One can drape a small 4-5' section of transport chain between the 2 grab hooks. Then place a tow chain's grab hook in the middle of the draped chain with the other end wrapped around whatever needs pulling or towing. This method minimizes load forces on both of the grab hooks and the bucket's edge by spreading them out over 2 hooks as opposed to concentrating the load forces on just the middle hook. The FEL arms will also be providing additional lift forces and bucket stability while maintaining the bucket's structural integrity without bending or popped welds.

...Bob

/ Where to weld hook attachments on bucket #10  
Thanks, Bill! Now I don't have to post the picture like I was gonna!

Bob: That is why I have three hooks. The center is used mostly to pull fence posts. The outside hooks are used to balance long loads.

However, I find I don't use them as much as I thought I would. I mostly use my QA pallet forks for pulling posts (lots of openings to fasten a chain) and carrying wide loads (forks spread to their widest position.)

Mark