Ford 4600 Hydraulic System

/ Ford 4600 Hydraulic System #1  

TXAG03

Tractor
Ford 4600
My family has a Ford 4600 with a Kelley front end loader and a rear three point hydraulic mounting system. My grandfather passed away in 2001, and the tractor hasn't moved an inch until yesterday. Fluids swapped out and levels checked (oil, diesel, and coolant), the tractor started without a hiccup. Unfortunately, I have never learned how to operate the hydraulic system. Not sure whether it is user error or age of the lines, I managed to blow a hydraulic line for the front-end loader. There seems to be an on-off switch below and to the right of the drivers seat (sorry, i didnt take a photo) which I assume controls the fluid flow between the rear three point and front end loader. Could someone please offer some insight as to how this system should work? If it did blow not because of old age, should a bypass valve prevented the eruption? Only lost about half a gallon of hydraulic fluid.

Hopefully the attached photos will work. I ordered an I&T service manual, but I dont believe this includes the aftermarket front-end loader.

Camera pics 9.1 102.jpg
Camera pics 9.1 134.jpg

Thank you!
~Will

/ Ford 4600 Hydraulic System #2  
Not sure about the plumbing on your tractor but if it has sat for that long I would say the age had more to do with the line blowing out than anything else. Tractors are just like everything else, it harder on them to sit than it is for them to be used daily.

/ Ford 4600 Hydraulic System
Thank you Bulldog. Do you make it a practice to change out the lines after a certain time or do you use them til you lose them? I'm asking more from an equipment sustainability standpoint. Will the bursting of hydraulic lines lead to the failure of something else in the hydraulic system? For example, will a sudden decrease in hydraulic pressure harm the hydraulic pump? If this is the case, I should replace all of the lines. Otherwise, I will replace them as they fail.

/ Ford 4600 Hydraulic System #4  
ok let me if i understand what your saying.you used the tractor an loader an blew out 1 of the hydro hoses on the loader.well thats an easy fix.just take the blown hose off an have a new 1 made.an then put it back on the loader.an you replace any other hoses as they blow out.

/ Ford 4600 Hydraulic System #5  
i replace mine when they blow, or if they look real damaged.

/ Ford 4600 Hydraulic System #6  
Unless they just look really bad or they are starting to seep fluid I replace them as they blow. I have some older implements that the lines are 30+ yrs old. As far as damage to the system goes. The only thing that I can think of is if you continued to operate with a blown line until the entire hyd system was dry of fluid. Just hope you never bust one and get covered in hot hyd oil. It sux but that's a whole other story.

/ Ford 4600 Hydraulic System #7  
Your hose probably died of old age. They don't last forever so just replace that.

I believe your tractor has a valve under the seat that ports pressure from the internal pump to the FEL conrtol valves. It's a two position valve that either allows the hydraulics to run the 3 point or the loader and is generally refered to as a selector valve. It's also possible that it allows either the 3 point to function or both the 3 pt and the loader to function. Since I'm not familiar with that specific model, I can't be more specific.