new tractor idea possibly....

/ new tractor idea possibly....
90th diagram yikes!

boggen new tractor idea90.png

sorry for very tall diagram...

had to go out and get some things done... on the way home. came up on a old grain box wagon. with side chute on it. i noticed the "cross bracing" at the corners rear ends... then remember the multi suspensions out there for cars / trucks / 4 wheelers, etc... and thought why not let the hydrostatic transmission or electrical motor "swing". if it swings, it would help reduce the angle a U joint or gears would need to actually angle. when the wheels shift side to side....

problem is i do not know how to keep the transmission or electrical motor. from swinging to much to point it flips out side down and pulls the 2 halves of drive shaft apart...

and the diagram just kept getting longer and longer...

boggen new tractor idea91.png

boggen new tractor idea92.png

looks like time to get into a grid sheet. and actually start seeing dimensions...

boggen new tractor idea93.png

it is looking like, it is who can make the....

---2 tracks
---wheels for tracks
---2 hyd cylinders
---1 hydrostatic transmission or electrical motor
---3 spots on bottom to connect 360 joint.
---360 joint have a motor on it to help spin the 360 joint and to lock the 360 joint in a single spot
---the final drive with ability to reverse one wheels (for when wheels turn 360)
---2 hyd lines (1 pressurized 1 not pressurized)
---1 wire bundle. if electrical motors, 2 wire bundles)

structural support... thinking about....
---tracks as low as possible (without touching wheels)
---hyd cylinders as high as possible or rather above everything.
---thinking is, the tracks and tracks for wheels... will help keep the bottom from "spreading out" the wheels for the tracks and axles/pins on them. hold the tracks together...
---placing hyd cylinders in the top say above each track. would help add support kinda like an EYE beam. were tracks are bottom portion of eye beam and hyd cylinders are top portion of eye beam. and everything else is the vertical portion of the eye beam.
--- i am going to assume main supports for the entire STB. would attach at the very top and run across the STB.

dimensions.... ((see rough diagram that is attached...))
---if wheels are 2 feet diameter, and needing say 6" space to keep mud from building up above them. then you have another 2.5 to 3.5 feet above the rims per say.
---limited to 3.5 in length. (distance from edge to inside edge *near center of STB along the short end*))
---limited to i would like to keep it under 4 wide. preferably 3 feet

other doings...
---hyd cylinders... i don't know, if it would be possibly to say make a thin walled sleeve. that fits into say a cast iron mold or if it would be better to just have standard hyd cylinders, that you see on current age tractors. (FEL, TNT for 3pt hitch, and like)
---if using a metal rod through drive shaft that goes down to the wheels through the 360 joint or a pipe around the drive shaft. i would imagine there would be some sort of "linkage" adjustment? if running wires down to the axles... then metal connections going through 360 joint, would need to be accessible and replaceable...
---360 joint. needs different locations were it can be placed on the bottom side. i do not know why. it just does... i would imagine some bolts go straight up and connect to things. there should be no pressure at this connection. and considered atmospheric pressure. though i would imagine some sort of seal. not a gasket like an engine. but perhaps some sort of 0 ring. that someone could take a roll of rubber from a roll and cut to fit. and place into a grove. purpose would be just keeping dirt, water, and other crud from getting into the joint.
---there should be some sort of "drain holes" to let hyd oil or transmission oil or like oil out of everything. for when a repair needs to be made.
---anything that requires some sort of servo or sensor or like. the sensor or server. needs to be easily replaced, without having to removing anything, more so anything that may require a special gasket, beyond a generic 0-ring.
---wear and tear should be considered, and if need be some sort of wear plates used.
---ability to lock the wheels up as in like emergency brakes. if wheels are not moving then a pin or latch might be used. if using hydrostatic transmission or like. valving might be used. to lock things as long as there is a backup, like extra check valve with extra seals. or another valve with seals on it... if wheels are moving, then hydrostatic transmission can be relied upon. if electrical motors... there should be some sort of "brake pads" placed on a shaft that will goto the wheels or brakes on the final drive shaft going to the rims... ((would really hate changing brake pads or like on multi wheels... not to mention dust collecting up in them, and causing problems))
---there needs to be a way to allow up to 2 feet min tracks that extend out, up to a max of 3.5 feet. the extension that fold out do not need to be considered in dimensions earlier up in this post.

hhmmsss.... *looks scared* talk about tall order...! oh and keep weight as low as possible... *laughs* thinking about a solid mass of metal and oil it would all be...

boggen new tractor idea94.png

liking this design much much better! a lot more things can happen. and not limited to a "huge" dead man circle around wheels like previous version. the wheel sections or modules i guess are universal. and only limited by making sure you do not tear them apart at the "tracked" section... (ouchers) i guess about only way that could happen is if a wheel modules completely went out... and you are just dragging wheels that are completely locked up and will not turn. or using an implement on a setup... that puts to much tweaking on things that pulls track apart...

i would imagine the only thing that would really come up... would be actual spacing for how implements hooked up... and making sure implements can fold up onto each section for "transport mode" and going down the road... could see different manufactures trying to put there own twist on things..... or different countries (US vs Europe vs Asia, vs Australia.... having different ways to attach things and fold things...

length of each section, i would imagine come up, in what everyone would let farmers get by with on the road. and then how long a total STB tractor could go down the road way with... errr maybe better statement what would be needed to get into those ugly fields with tight turns and sudden steep slope changes in hills... and leaving the actual total length of STB going down the road, in what everyone else would let farmers get away with...

i guess one of things may come up. is if there is any implements folded up. on long STB is making sure the implements are towards the off side of the road vs driving the implements hanging off side down the center lane. ((hyd line going out and dropping an implement right onto a on coming car or someone trying to pass...))

another thing is "emergency STOP" buttons may come up and being required to be placed here and there down the length.

going over rail road tracks may be a limiting factor..... there is still a good amount of train tracks out there that get used, and not much way of being able to see down the track for on coming train. let alone signals at train track crossings... perhaps requiring X length STB, even if light is green, to stop and wait for light to cycle back to a fresh solid green light. to give extra length of time before an approaching train may signal things....

i would imagine STB would require some sort of "rear" camera with a wide range view. to handle any sort of emergency vehicles that may approach STB in the rear. while going down the road.

some sort of "emergency" break like setup. with sensors if something some how comes UN-attached between sections. while on the road, heck even in the field...

perhaps some sort of sensors on hyd cylinders that hold implements up while in transport mode. to make sure they are not falling down (leaky hyd cylinder seals or valve is letting hyd oil to leak by) or perhaps slightly opening up valves running to implements folded up. to make sure they stay up perhaps as a backup doing... perhaps better yet just a simple "locking mechanism" that physically locks implement up, when implement is folded up onto the STB. vs relying on hyd cylinders to hold the implement up.

i could actually see a big deal with different folks / manufactures trying to come up with a easiest lock, that is least prone to failure to holding implements up while they are in transport on the STB.

i would imagine if i go with the 2 point quick hitches. there would need to be of min of TWO 2point quick hitches for implements. and each 2point quick hitch. should be strong enough to fold implement on its own. or something of that nature... perhaps using a winch and cable per implement. as a way to hold things. and act as backup. in case something goes down.... actually electrical winch and the hyd cylinders. could work well. if electrical goes out winch goes out, if hyd goes out, hyd cylinders go out. then again perhaps most implements may fold up and not require anything extra special and no major accidents or even bunch of small accidents would not require all the extra blah blah blah!

GAH! all i am doing is thinking of ways that puts the ugly on a STB and in that extra cost and hassles....
========================

i can actually start seeing the various implements and multi configurations the wheel modules would allow for. from combine heads, to wagons, to discs, to box blades, rear blades, planters, seeders... i am not to sure about hilling though. hhmmsss... the tires 2 feet in diameter.... i can see a CAB easily being setup between the wheel modules. to create a section that has enough to "create" a descent length STB tractor. as a "starter" / trial testing tractor, before everything was a tad iffy and really trying to count them micro inches for every bit of space...

had to get the thought out, before i slept and forget about it... of course it was right when my head hit the pillow and got comfy...

boggen new tractor idea95.png

My only question is: Now that we built it, who can afford to buy It???:D
so how much ya willing to put into some more R&D and prototype? five, five hundred, five thousand, five hundred thousand, 5 million? :D (US dollars please so i understand amount, need to keep some sort of standard across everything :D) i am serious *slightly nodding head*

BTW (by the way) :welcome: to the band wagon, Tom :thumbsup:

going off of 116 post some comparison diagrams...

current age tractors and implements...
boggen new tractor idea96.png

the STB tractor with implements...
boggen new tractor idea97.png

with current age tractors / implements. you end up getting ugly corners at times. were there may be a patch that does not get tilled / planted. without driving up into areas that are already tilled / planted. to get the implement to swing around just right. which results in your corner widths small.... or less you leave a large enough section around the entire perimeter of field so you can do 180's and then go back on very last path to clean up all the ends...

boggen new tractor idea98.png

with STB tractor... same like doing... you get center of field down. and then just simple un-attach one of the engines sections / flip over implements that fold up on top of the engine section. and go around to clean up the edges... without having to drive the entire STB with all extra sections of engines / implements around.... mean while other engine sections / implement sections if you have another cab setup could continue on to next field. when the split off engine / implement gets done cleaning up the edges.... it could drive over and attach up with the rest or start on cleaning up edges on that next field...

boggen new tractor idea99.png

=============
with current age implements and tractors... say you have 60 feet width implement. you would have to keep 50 to 60 width off the edges. to make 180 degree turns to turn back onto things.. and then when it comes for cleaning up use that 60 foot wide implement, to partially overlap things already done

with STB tractor, i would imagine you would only need a 8 to 20 feet wide ends that would need to be cleaned up after entire center section of field was done. ((assuming implements flipped from one side to other side.)) and cleaned up ends you would not be battling 180 degree tire ruts but spots were tires did a sudden 360 spin errr 90 degree spin on the STB. and 2 tire rut that is parallel to the fence line.

============
implements that are able to move side to side..... hhmmsss... that is going to be a task in itself. more so when every implement out there for most part is designed to be pulled / dragged in one direction...