new tractor idea possibly....

/ new tractor idea possibly....
at a stand still... of what type of bracket to use on the lower portion. that connects the rod of hyd cylinder, and the 2 smaller pipes... there is also need for a "hinge" action on this bracket. to connect to the lower subframe that connects to the transport wheels....

boggen SSTT transport wheels5.png

will deal with lengths of hyd cylinder and pipes, a few steps later, (want to get bracket done) so i can get a better accurate measurement.

redrawing everything up, and labeling parameters, off of above diagram, tis a learning experience.

but before i forget....

in order to deal with getting either hyd fluid or coolant (antifreeze/water mix) down to the transport wheels hyd motors or electrical motors. using the 2 pipes on each side of the hyd cylinders that raise and lower the transport wheels. turn them into funky hyd cylinder. were hyd fluid or anti freeze goes through a double acting hyd cylinder. basically turning the cylinder into a telescoping pipe. that operates much like a double acting hyd cylinder.

other thing before i forget....
in order to get distance measurement for how far a hyd cylinder has extended or contracted. set something up on one of the pipes on either side of the hyd cylinders that raise and lower transport wheels. and setup a sensor on one of them. perhaps mounted inside one of the pipes. to keep dirt, dust, etc... from interfering with sensor readings.

i am still not happy with transport wheels raise and lowering of them.

i set my limits of....

---3 feet total rise and lower
---1 foot to lift everything up off the ground during transport mode. so there is enough clearance under neath everything, to get over steeper sudden changes in hills and bumps that come along.
---middle 1 foot, normal operational range in field mode.
---1 foot upper limit. to deal with adjustments side to side to deal with weight adjustments, and perhaps getting out of muddy situations.

---6 feet total height though would like to see 5 feet total height, counting wheel hights to top height point that sticks up.

---2 inches of clearance around transport wheels regardless at what rotation they are at. along with 2 inches above them.

---8 to 10 inches above the 2 inch clearance to deal with 360 joint or what ever may need to be directly located above transport wheels.

---8 feet total width
---each side is set back 2 feet to allow for implements to be folded up onto the sstt (sideways snake train tractor), and implements basically rest right on top of the transport wheels, when in transport mode.

==========
other things
---accurate reading of how far a hyd cylinder has extended
---pressure sensors on both hoses coming off of each double acting cylinder. to deal with better weight distribution.
---an attempt to stay with max of 4 cylinders (1 hyd cylinder per set of transport wheels a set = 2 wheels setup as duals or rather narrow front end tractor)

=========
dis likes....
---2 hyd cylinders per set of transport wheels way hyd cylinder goes. entire thing falls apart and collapses to the ground.
---scissor linkages, to many things could go wrong and more so "bending" and things beginning to hang up.
---everything i drew up so far for extra linkages to reduce overall hyd cylinder length, only adds extra complexity and bigger weak points and in that point of failures.

=========
unsure about....
---cross bracing. to obtain backup, and better structural support. when in transport mode. and hyd cylinders are extend up to there max of 36 inches. backup... if one hyd cylinder goes down. there at min one other hyd cylinder on that same side. to hold things. to at most limp back to the shed / shop.
---extra pipe on each side of each hyd cylinder, or C with T or I metal bars to act like sliding tracks. to help beef up things some. vs sizing hyd cylinder diameters and lengths for internal seals longer.

==============
==============
==============
==============
with above said. i am over my head in known metal grades, and thicknesses. let alone having any idea of physical total weight the SSTT would have that the transport wheels would need to handle. going to call it good enough for now for transport wheels.

complete rebuild for parameters, not really liking the pipes as noted earlier in post, got side tracked on a couple other ideas and did not put in the main frame block. to make things look better. (not sure what main frame will actually look like yet)
boggen SSTT transport wheels6.png

some more hangman games for linkages. played around with more than what is shown for linkages to reduce hyd cylinder length, nothing that could work, could fit within the limits noted above....
boggen SSTT transport wheels7.png

redo of lower frame that connects wheel sets. to have "wheel wells" to help gain some extra space. though the C and T or I beam. gave up before finishing up. just not seeing it happen.
boggen SSTT transport wheels8.png

another few more games of hang man game but with 4' foot diameter AG / R1 tire.

boggen sstt agtires1.png

below version. i kinda like. i am able to use a solid bar link between the U shape track, and axle of wheel, and then a hyd cylinder to swing tire out some. the the U shape track. seems to be pretty nice. but how to put power to the track. to move say a 12" inch wide back and forth on the track is a problem in itself.
==pro the 1 cylinder going down to the tire axle. only needs to extend about 6 to 8 inches. and rest of it could be frame. longer the cylinder is placed, the better off in dealing with mud and ruts and allowing tire to sink further down vs rest of the tires on the SSTT.

boggen sstt agtires2.png

below diagram. uses 2 hyd cylinder, and between the 2 cylinders, a pipe inside of another pipe, to act like a guide. gives a few more inches of clearance. overall this clearance might be extremely nice long term. to being able to raise and lower the tire and down to the ground. without having to place the physical main frame (spine) of the SSTT higher above the AG / R1 tire.
===both cylinders need to extend about 14inches.

boggen sstt agtires3.png

scissors linkages. i am actually interested in. they look like they could actually work. vs transport wheel usage. it would still require 2 hyd cylinders. but would allow some extra reach perhaps.

==================
i would still like to do some rotation of the 4' diameter AG / R1 tires. maybe 10 degrees in each direction, perhaps more if possible. the AG tire does not need to do 360 degree rotation, nor 90 degree rotation, just a few degrees. i think would really help long term to some ugly situations. example driving across a hill or up or down a hill at an angle. in order to go straight across the hill without slipping back down the hill. to making some odd ball twists and turns in fields, (around run a ways (grassy areas to deal with run off water and erosion) to field edges that are not nice and straight clear down the field but have some curvature to them.

the problem is the complexity of AG wheels turning just a few degree even. is going to be out of most novice or intermediate operators i would imagine.

brain storming, i might see having tires rotate a couple degrees might make it easier to backup and re-arrange things if you mis-judge distance, or GPS is off, or perhaps GPS is correct but you end up sliding some down a hill knocking the GPS statement of when to exactly turn and how much off is thrown off some from simple sliding down the hill some.

hhmmmsss *light bulb shines* goes off to autodesk inventor.

not much done this weekend. i tried a few other setups. to slightly rotate the 4 foot diameter AG / R1 tires. and gave up on the ideas fairly quickly before finishing things out. just could not see anything happening with the ideas as i started seeing things started to form up.

below is what i am currently thinking about for AG / R1 tires.
--2 hyd cylinders
--1 central pipe inside of a pipe. (((special note))) in order to keep things flopping the pipe connecting to lower axle. does not have a pivot point. but just bolts / welded directly to the lower frame. playing hang man game. seems to work this out fairly well for distances and constraints placed on things.

boggen sstt agtires4.png

EDIT: just caught when assembling things, i put one of the tires on backwards. so tread for both tire is not in same direction. perhaps this might actually be wanted now that i think about it. if same type of implements are hooked up on both sides of the SSTT at the same time. to make cornering in fields quicker, for say plows, or discs, or like. then again, perhaps a different tread pattern might be better suggested for SSTT when all said and done. vs a typical tire tread for a current age tractor.

i am ready to destroy autodesk inventor, from randomly crashing, non stop suddenly.

it is hitting ram, to video card, to hard disk. problems after autodesk inventor crashes. and ends up requiring a restart of computer. so win 7 can run diagnostic tests. and everything comes back fine.

everything is up to date with latest drivers and patches, etc...

i have not formatted and reinstalled everything on this computer since i got it. and that has been a 3 to 5 years now... so might give that as a last ditch effort. to see if there is some corruption going on. going to wait till black friday hits. here in about a month though. to hopefully snag a descent deal for a new hard drive. to much junk to backup on dvd to try a format reinstall right at this moment.

==================
trying to draw a rubber track in inventor, and not making much progress, see above....

i thought about trying to go with a longer track setup. instead of being restricted to 4 feet long. trying to shoot for 8 feet. if i could some how easily get the sprockets and rollers and everything that makes up a track to fold up some, and then be able to shift from side to side, and lift up and down some. and for course rotate.

*ya* eyes are bigger than my stomach with above most likely. but *shrugs* maybe there some simple solution that is just perfect that allows it all.

though at moment, the way autodesk and computer, is fighting me, i might be better off going at linkages for implements. simpler shapes = less taxing the computer. and hit tracks later on.

finally getting to a point were i am no longer searching for commands / buttons for general building of things! woot! and i think i am down to a video driver or codec giving me problems with constant crashing of autodesk inventor. seems some sort of "advertisement" not sure if java or flash, or quicktime, or other. loading up in a webpage i have open in firefox, and as soon as it loads on some page, it crashes autodesk inventor. have not really narrowed it down beyond that, heck it might be openGL or directx, and causing conflicts between what ever is loading up in a webpage and autodesk inventor. since i have just limited firefox to just TBN, and no other webpages, i have not had a problem with autodesk inventor. earlier had a bunch of webpages err tabs open. and autodesk inventor was crashing every few minutes. *shrugs*

===================
played some more hangman for implement linkages....
boggen sstt implement linkages 2.png they all look the same, but when loaded different dimension placement on lines really shows up. in how implements lower / raise, push in out.

hap haphazardly drew up a 20 foot wide, 14 long, 2.2 feet high chisel implement. no real thought to creating it. beyond something to help visualize implement linkages.
boggen sstt implement linkages 1.png

====================
when i started seeing actual physical lengths of hyd cylinders would need to be. for implement linkages. it really hit me, of why is there a need to attach implements on both sides of the SSTT. (sideways snake train tractor)???????

and i just remember about wanting front implement hookups. for the SSTT.... nevermind. back to what i was doing to hopefully figure out brackets and frames.....

running out of length for hyd cylinders both on contraction and extension of them. along with having to much "slop" in how the linkages would rest in either transport mode or in field mode. and the slop would end up causing a binding up problem. causing implement not to be able to lower/raise between transport mode and field mode.

boggen sstt implement linkages 3.png

next round of tries, is going to take some extra time, both of hinge points and brackets. to hopefully find some extra needed room.

=====================

every time i draw something up been starting from scratch each time. for hyd cylinders....

and starting to like below setup for a single hyd cylinder in the middle. then 4 pipes welded directly to the outside of the cylinder itself.
then the rod for the hyd cylinder and 4 other rods mounted on another bracket.

boggen sstt implement linkages 4.png

while above diagram hyd cylinder (rod itself) is not completely drawn out. i am liking ability to add a bracket around each end of the cylinder itself. to help re-enforce the cylinder end, that the rod comes out of, when the rod is fully extended. and help keep things from buckling. the 4 pipes and 4 extra rods / pipes help add some "width" and "height" to get some extra structural support. and keeps everything moving freely. without taking up to much room. perhaps modifying the 4 pipes and rods that go with them into "spring shocks" or air shocks, like you might see on a regular car / truck vehicle. to help produce extra pressure. and then placing valve for hyd cylinder in freeplay mode. were cylinder rod can move in and out freely. and just rely on the tension in the spring shocks to hold things enough to were they need to be. but still allow some movement.

Last edited:
starting to see the light

boggen sstt implement linkages 5.png

though looking right at picture i think a few more improvements can be made. to find a bit more wiggle room in how long a cylinder can extend and contract by moving the brackets from the very ends, to a few inches up on the cylinder.

boggen sstt implement linkages 6.png

*ear to ear grin* much much better. and should have full freedom to gain a few extra inches +/- for all cylinders and movements for implement linkages.