8N post hole digger?

/ 8N post hole digger? #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
Will a Ford 8N run a post hole digger? One of the jobs I used to justfy getting a tractor is digging post holes. Any tips to using one? Anything to wach out for? Any style work better on a 8n? Thanks for any help.

/ 8N post hole digger? #2  
I've rented a PHD with an 8" auger and used a ferguson
TO-20 to bore in this soft alabama soil and it worked fine. The only problem I had was that the lift doesn't act exactly as it should so I couldn't always get the holes the same depth.

/ 8N post hole digger? #3  
The biggest problem with using an 8N with a post hole digger is no live PTO. A lot of times the auger wants to curl back towards the tractor while digging. With live PTO you can ease the tractor foward while digging to keep the auger straight. That keeps you from having to go back with hand diggers and straighten out the hole to get the post in. I followed a rancher on his Fordson Major that didn't have live PTO around for 3 weeks one time straightening out holes. Not fun. You're stuck with an 8n, when you put the clutch in the PTO quits. That said, I imagine that millions of post holes have been dug with an 8N.

/ 8N post hole digger? #4  
yes the 8n will run a post hole, but u have the same proble as u do with a snowblower or rear mower, u push in the clutch and everything stops. is it ideal? nope. but it beats doing it by hand. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ 8N post hole digger? #5  
One more little trick thing about 8N's is that not only does the PTO stop when you put in the clutch, so does the hydraulic pump and therefore the three point lift. You cannot stop the rotation of the digger and be able to lift it out of the graund. And as seems with everyone else, I spent a good part of my childhood hanging on a pole thru the auger head to add down pressure as my dad dug holes with the ol' 8N! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 8N post hole digger? #6  
I've never dug post holes with an 8n and 3ph auger, but I have used one with a Yanmar F16D and a Yanmar 1300D (and they don't have live PTO either) and never had a problem. Whenever the auger started to curl, I'd just press the clutch, put it in gear, ease forward with the PTO turning and the tractor in gear and then pop the tranny out of gear and keep digging - not tough, just a little finesse. The biggest problem that I had was being careful not to dig too fast and get too much dirt around the auger (so much that the tractor couldn't pick it up - and digging it out is no fun).

I bet there have been a ton post holes dug and 8n and 3ph auger, so just add to the total.

Take it Easy

Tim Gray

/ 8N post hole digger? #7  
Tim,
Same method on my YM 1700 and a 12" auger. No problems. And no live PTO

/ 8N post hole digger? #8  
The 'dead' hydraulics is the bigger issue on this, that's for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--->Paul

/ 8N post hole digger? #9  
I am 60 years old and this 48 Ford 8n is the first tractor I have sat on. I have become very impressed with the mechanical simplicity and durability of this ol tractor. It starts on the first turn and mows 40 acres without missing a beat. I am interested in using a PHD but don’t understand how to lift the auger out of a 2’ – 3’ hole without putting the tractor in gear thus causing the tractor to move forward and binding the auger before the hydraulics can lift it out of the hole. What am I missing? Seems like a great way to burn up a clutch.

/ 8N post hole digger? #10  
I got mine, 1950 8n, stuck last night because the auger just pulled itself down. The ground was a moist semi-clay material and we had to dig it out; the moist ground was too heavy and the bit too deep for the tractor to pull it out on its own. We dug out about a foot or so of loose ground to get it to where the tractor was finally able to pull it out. I also used my hydraulic 2-ton jack (on boards for weight displacement) under a 3pt arm and a 2x4 on edge as a lever under the gearbox to assist in lifting the bit out of the ground. But to answer your question, I took the tractor out of gear and used the PTO/hydraulics while the tractor was in neutral. I disconnected the PTO shaft to the PHD gearbox and had to do some digging.

I saw a video last night where a guy built a "drill stop" so it would keep the auger from pulling itself in too deep. He had one problem when this "stop" slid off to the side and allowed the bit to go deeper than desired. Something I plan on trying.

Steve