grab chain length

/ grab chain length #1  

Raider43

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L35 "1998",Kubota RTV900 "2010", Samsung SE210LC-2"1998" AM General M817 dump truck "1972" John Deere 450B "1998"
hey everyone, I just put grab hooks on my L35 loader and now need to get the chain. Without getting too technical, what would a good length be to purchase or make? 10 feet, 15 feet?

raider.

/ grab chain length #2  
I found two short ones more useful than one long one. I usually carry two that are 8-10 ft.

Bruce

/ grab chain length #3  
I only have one at the moment. It's 10 feet and has done me well for skidding small (6" max) tree parts to a brush pile and pulling out T-posts from the ground. If I was going to skid larger logs, I'd probably want closer to 15 feet... but hey, maybe not.

/ grab chain length #4  
I have several chains in various lengths. In regards to the length, it would really depend on what you are planning to do. I, myself, like to haul a chain with me that is a little longer than what I think that I will need for the intended or planned task. One never knows what one might encounter. I don't like going back to the shop to get another chain because the first one was too short. Most times I have two chains with me. I keep them in PVC pipe on my tractor. Just my thoughts. Everyone does things differently. Best wishes.

/ grab chain length #5  
I have chains ranging from 4 to 20 feet. It's nice to have a selection plus some things need more than one chain to be used at a time. For instance, to pick an implement it is handy to use one chain as a bridle to hang it level and grab it with a second chain so it can easily be rotated. While working alone, some loads like poles need two points of attachment because they won't balance on their own.

When in doubt, I grab a longer chain than I think I need. With the bucket attachment method I've been using for the last 10 years the extra chain can be kept out of the way easily by dropping it into the slots that aren't used for the load. The attachments are short pieces of angle with slots that accept up to 3/8" chain. They've seen loads heavy enough to get the rear wheels off the ground and were never affected. Here are pictures showing the buckets of the (now gone) B7500 and the L3200:

Attachments

• Chain Hooks.JPG
    Chain Hooks.JPG
    651.6 KB · Views: 518
  • Level 1.jpg
    Level 1.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 468
   / grab chain length #6  
chim said:
I have chains ranging from 4 to 20 feet. It's nice to have a selection plus some things need more than one chain to be used at a time. For instance, to pick an implement it is handy to use one chain as a bridle to hang it level and grab it with a second chain so it can easily be rotated. While working alone, some loads like poles need two points of attachment because they won't balance on their own.

When in doubt, I grab a longer chain than I think I need. With the bucket attachment method I've been using for the last 10 years the extra chain can be kept out of the way easily by dropping it into the slots that aren't used for the load. The attachments are short pieces of angle with slots that accept up to 3/8" chain. They've seen loads heavy enough to get the rear wheels off the ground and were never affected. Here are pictures showing the buckets of the (now gone) B7500 and the L3200:

That looks like a great design. It eliminated hooks facing different directions. While u said they worked fine, did u have any concern stressing them in one direction vs. another? It looks like u bolted them in, so a non welder could create the same thing.

Thanks for the pics.

/ grab chain length #7  
Start with a couple of ten footers and go from there. You can hook them together for a 20 if needed. With time you will probably end up with a whole assortment depending on what you do with your tractor. To me it is what you need for hooks ( grab, slip, one of each, choker ... ) rather than the chain length that make me go get another one. If you got grab hooks on the bucket a chain with a grab hook on one end and a slip hook on the other would be a good way to start.

/ grab chain length #8  
Gordon Gould said:
Start with a couple of ten footers and go from there. You can hook them together for a 20 if needed. With time you will probably end up with a whole assortment depending on what you do with your tractor. To me it is what you need for hooks ( grab, slip, one of each, choker ... ) rather than the chain length that make me go get another one. If you got grab hooks on the bucket a chain with a grab hook on one end and a slip hook on the other would be a good way to start.

Did u see chims angle iron solution? Unless someone points out a flaw, that design seems to be one of the best I've seen.

/ grab chain length
Chim, that is a great setup. My loader bucket has 3 grab hooks on it. I have not used any chains yet, but will for mostly tree work. Sounds like start with a 10 footer and go from there. Would I put a grab hook on each end or some combination for dragging logs?

Raider

thanks everyone for the info. This site is a great source.

is there spell check on this site?

/ grab chain length #10  
Chim, that is a great setup. My loader bucket has 3 grab hooks on it. I have not used any chains yet, but will for mostly tree work. Sounds like start with a 10 footer and go from there. Would I put a grab hook on each end or some combination for dragging logs?

There are a few good threads on TBN about bucket mods, including discussions of hooks. Here is a search URL that will get you started.

The angle iron with slits cut for grab-hooks is pretty clever, since they work both directions, unlike a hook. Also, since they spread the contact point with the bucket out a bit, they may be less likely to bend the bucket--but that's just a guess. The best configuration I have heard of is to have grab hooks at the outside edges and a slip hook in the middle. If you need to use the middle as a grab hook, you just run the chain through the slip hook to one of the outside grab hooks. Another configuration that I like is to have a receiver hitch welded to the center of the bucket. You can then stick a ball in, to move a trailer, or stick a hitch-mounted slip hook, or really anything else that will go into a receiver. Pretty versatile, although you do want to be careful that you don't collapse the top of your bucket.