Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43
  1. #11
    Elite Member Zebrafive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,466
    Location
    South West MI
    Tractor
    John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415

    Default Re: An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota

    Have you considered takiing the tractor to a Body shop with a frame straighting rack? They are able to chain it down and then push or pull in almost any direction. It's surprising the amount of straighting they can do.
    John Deere 2030 JD 245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 mfwd JD 640SL Loader

  2. #12
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,262
    Location
    upstate South Carolina, Greenville
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240

    Default Re: An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota

    We spent about six hours banging and hammering, and used ratchet straps and long levers to pull the bent pieces down. The floorboard was removed and I worked on it for about an hour on my shop press, so it was decent. We finally got the holes to line back up fairly close and bolted it back together. The factory rubber dampeners are now gone, and some of the welded nuts stripped, so I drilled them and used nuts. I did not have to cut any metal away as I first feared. Of course it looks like crap, but at least the floor board is back in and everything works. I replaced two hydro hoses and both filters, and 42 quarts of new fluid (which was just done last month).

    It would have been easier if I had removed the wheel and gas tank, but I really did not want to do that in the field, and we need to plant soon, so could not afford so much down time.

    I can't blame my buddy, as the place he was working was relatively clear. We have been in way worse places. But it was the "perfect storm" of accidents. The stump was really not that big. You could pick it up with one hand. But it was cedar and hard as steel and shaped just perfectly to kick up and impale the floorboard.

    I remember reading how someone was killed by a similar accident on the interstate, when a jack in the road penetrated the floorboard of a car and killed the driver. As you said, s#@t happens! At least we are now up and running with only a day lost.
    I agree that woods use is hard on a tractor, but its all we have to use. We often cleanup clearcuts to create plots and lanes, and the grapple is awesome, but the cutoffs and stumps are lurking to impale something. Its amazing how a stick can find that one vulnerable openning and do damage.

  3. #13
    Elite Member Bob77064's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,972
    Location
    KY @ TN line
    Tractor
    2011 LS R3039

    Default Re: An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota

    These things happen, I am glad no one was hurt.

  4. #14
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,199
    Location
    Me
    Tractor
    Mahindra Max28XL HST

    Default Re: An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota

    Quote Originally Posted by HCJtractor View Post
    We spent about six hours banging and hammering, and used ratchet straps and long levers to pull the bent pieces down. The floorboard was removed and I worked on it for about an hour on my shop press, so it was decent. We finally got the holes to line back up fairly close and bolted it back together. The factory rubber dampeners are now gone, and some of the welded nuts stripped, so I drilled them and used nuts. I did not have to cut any metal away as I first feared. Of course it looks like crap, but at least the floor board is back in and everything works. I replaced two hydro hoses and both filters, and 42 quarts of new fluid (which was just done last month).

    It would have been easier if I had removed the wheel and gas tank, but I really did not want to do that in the field, and we need to plant soon, so could not afford so much down time.

    I can't blame my buddy, as the place he was working was relatively clear. We have been in way worse places. But it was the "perfect storm" of accidents. The stump was really not that big. You could pick it up with one hand. But it was cedar and hard as steel and shaped just perfectly to kick up and impale the floorboard.

    I remember reading how someone was killed by a similar accident on the interstate, when a jack in the road penetrated the floorboard of a car and killed the driver. As you said, s#@t happens! At least we are now up and running with only a day lost.
    I agree that woods use is hard on a tractor, but its all we have to use. We often cleanup clearcuts to create plots and lanes, and the grapple is awesome, but the cutoffs and stumps are lurking to impale something. Its amazing how a stick can find that one vulnerable openning and do damage.

    I could learn alot from your attitude and reaction. Very mature.

    I could learn alot. Time will tell if I do learn.

    Time always tells on me... Time is a tattletale!

    I really hope I do learn... cause sometimes my attitude is in the dumper.

    Thanks for your great example.


  5. #15
    Veteran Member Code54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,416
    Location
    Putnam Co. West Virginia
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D, Kubota KX91 MiniEx, MULE Fxt Pro, Honda Pioneer 500

    Default Re: An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota

    Good way to handle it - sometimes we all have a little bad luck.... Glad to hear it back up and running. At least you know they Hydro fluid/system is GOOD and CLEAN...

  6. #16
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,695
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Tractor
    Kubota/B7800

    Default

    I have a smaller 30 hp kubota I purchased new 6 years ago. It looks like it has been through a war because it spends 75% of its life in the woods. Just cosmetic dents, bent sheet metal, paint etc. so no parades for this tractor either. I have considered making some armor for the vulnerable areas and think you may also when you get some down time.

    The scariest issue I had was when I ran over a sapling that found its way along the floorboard and locked my hydro petal in forward motion. As usual, I was pushing towards a big hill and wanted to go as far a possible before stopping. I didn't realize the sapling and almost lost it over the hill.

  7. #17
    Super Member newbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,382
    Location
    From Vt, in Va, retiring to MS
    Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

    Default Re: An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota

    We really need to be careful to not run over things unless we have a protected undercarriage. Little sticks can puncture gas tanks.
    Tis better to learn from the mistakes of others, you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Maybe we need a sticky in every forum pointing to a thread in the safety forum of "dumb things not to do and watchout"
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all
    My saws - JD CS 62, efco 3500, Stihls - 021, 660 w/woods mod, 660 w/ DP muffler, 088, Woodmizer LT10

  8. #18
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,695
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Tractor
    Kubota/B7800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newbury
    We really need to be careful to not run over things unless we have a protected undercarriage. Little sticks can puncture gas tanks.
    Tis better to learn from the mistakes of others, you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Maybe we need a sticky in every forum pointing to a thread in the safety forum of "dumb things not to do and watchout"
    For me, being careful in the woods while clearing land such as the OP is not easy. It is near impossible for one operator to see what is going on underneath, in front, in back, and each side while also operating the front loader, and implement on the back. I spend a lot of time watching the radiator area and what my rear tires are about to run over and have to scan everything else. Even operating a a crawl, these limbs and saplings are springing every which direction sometimes at my head . I don't see how the OP's friends could have stopped in time to prevent damage in this instance and don't consider it the operators fault. This machine as mentioned isn't designed for this task as mine isn't either but who can afford to purchase several machines to use a couple of times a year. Just have to either modify or expect damage as it happens.

  9. #19
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,691
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Tractor
    Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST

    Default Re: An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota

    Sorry for your loss.

    My two worst "drive over" incidents involved a branch and a pipe, both shaped like hockey sticks. No coincidence, in my opinion.

    John

  10. #20
    Super Member newbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,382
    Location
    From Vt, in Va, retiring to MS
    Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

    Default Re: An expensive crazy accident with my Kubota

    Quote Originally Posted by jejeosborne View Post
    For me, being careful in the woods while clearing land such as the OP is not easy. It is near impossible for one operator to see what is going on underneath, in front, in back, and each side while also operating the front loader, and implement on the back. I spend a lot of time watching the radiator area and what my rear tires are about to run over and have to scan everything else. Even operating a a crawl, these limbs and saplings are springing every which direction sometimes at my head . I don't see how the OP's friends could have stopped in time to prevent damage in this instance and don't consider it the operators fault. This machine as mentioned isn't designed for this task as mine isn't either but who can afford to purchase several machines to use a couple of times a year. Just have to either modify or expect damage as it happens.
    I'm especially careful when I have to go over something I only partially span. When going at a crawl I usually have the capability to think "Oh S*!#" and back up. Or at least not continue forward and make it worse.

    I've a former boss - he was going down I95 to Ft. Bragg in a rental car, went over a short piece of 2x4 at speed. It flipped up and tore open his fuel tank. Gas all over the place and he was a smoker, luckily he didn't catch on fire.
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all
    My saws - JD CS 62, efco 3500, Stihls - 021, 660 w/woods mod, 660 w/ DP muffler, 088, Woodmizer LT10

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. kubota gone crazy
    By john golubinski in forum Parts/Repairs
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-11-2011, 09:09 PM
  2. Kubota makes excellent tractors...but why so MUCH more expensive?
    By Owenslee in forum Kubota Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 10-23-2009, 10:57 AM
  3. Kubota Parts - Not Expensive
    By techman in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2002, 11:02 AM
  4. Just how expensive are Kubota parts?
    By JeremyL in forum Kubota Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-26-2002, 10:11 PM
  5. Dpes anyone think Kubota parts are way expensive?
    By JRP in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-20-2001, 01:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.