JD Fuel Filters

/ JD Fuel Filters #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
I have a 17hp JD GT275 Riding Mower that I bought 12 years ago. I've been having a a problem with not restarting. I can run it for a 1/2 hour, shut it off and it won't restart. If I change out the fuel filter it starts right up. This happened the first time last year and then again yesterday. The filter is clear with no sign of any dirt or debris. The only thing that seems wrong is that pleated filter material has an slight orange tint to it.
I always use fresh fuel but I do not use stabilizer in summer. Am I seeing the results of ethanol? I use the same fuel in my other single cylinder engines with out a hitch. 3 jugs last about 2 months.
What to do? Run stabilizer all year?

/ JD Fuel Filters #2  
I had similar problem with my 285 John Deere. It would run and quit like it was not getting fuel. A new fuel filter fixed it for a short period then same thing, quit like not getting fuel.

Turned out debrie in the fuel tank (looked like plastic molding flash) was being sucked up the fuel line, but was too big to go into the fuel filter. One time when replacing the fuel filter a piece of the plastic was hanging out of the fuel hose back to the tank. I pulled it out and the problem was solved. I also used compressed air to back blow the line to the tank. I could tell something cleared in the line since the air started to flow easier. I should pull the tank and flush it out. Maybe there is a screen on the tank pickup I blew off :confused3: But since no further poblems I have not.

/ JD Fuel Filters #3  
I agree with Zebrafive check the tank.

/ JD Fuel Filters #4  
Don't see it as often this day and age but years ago on older fuel hose you could have problems sometimes with a "flapper". Sliver of the hose internally pulling up and blocking flow temporarily. ususally blowing air through both directions of the hose would tell you this as air would be restricted one way and not the other. But most likely Zebra is correct.

/ JD Fuel Filters #5  
I had a problem like that with an older Deere F515 mower and after a lot of grief figure the inside of the fuel line was degrading from the newer ethanol fuel blends. Cleaning the tank made no difference but changing the fuel lines definately did.

/ JD Fuel Filters #6  
I had a similar issue and discovered the fuel cap was not letting air in and it was causing a vapor lock