Tires Best Chain Type for Traction in Snow

/ Best Chain Type for Traction in Snow #1  

newpaltznewholland

Tractor
NH 3045
Can anyone offer what they know to be the best chain type (4 link ladder, Duo Grip, Double Ring, Duo Ladder combo.....) for R4s working in snow? I have a boomer 3045 and the rear fenders are horrifyingly close to the tire tread however the fronts (which I am most interested in "chaining" should be no problem with clearance. Many thanks,

/ Best Chain Type for Traction in Snow #2  
Studded H pattern is great on ice and snow. Would be hard on asphalt though. All my roads are dirt.
There is some controversey about the wisdom of chaining up the front. Great for traction and control, potentially hard on the relitively weak front end drive system.

Attachments

• IceChains.JPG
    IceChains.JPG
    627.8 KB · Views: 329
   / Best Chain Type for Traction in Snow #3  
Depending on the surface different chain types do work better. For some with pavement you are better off with out chains and actually one of the best traction tires is the turf!!!

Crazy part of all this is most all snow removal is done before a tractor tire even gets to the deep snow so it is not a problem. Think about it, a front mount snow blower on skid shoes might have one inch of snow left on dirt but on pavement you could be scraping it bare!!!!

For going into the back forty in deep snow not removing prior to a tire getting there your double rings are the lowest price and your logger stles of coarse cost more. For use on pavement if you don't mind the mark

/ Best Chain Type for Traction in Snow #4  
Can anyone offer what they know to be the best chain type (4 link ladder, Duo Grip, Double Ring, Duo Ladder combo.....) for R4s working in snow? I have a boomer 3045 and the rear fenders are horrifyingly close to the tire tread however the fronts (which I am most interested in "chaining" should be no problem with clearance. Many thanks,

Double rings are not meant for snow. All you need is a ladder type chain and if you are doing fronts only, I'd suggest 2 link ladder. They do make a chain for close quarters if you wanted to do the rears. You need nothing fancy if your terrain is relatively mild as just about any kind of chain will help in hard packed snow or ice.

/ Best Chain Type for Traction in Snow #5  
I have Turfs on my JD 2520 and have had no problem getting around in snow with a front mounted snow blower.

/ Best Chain Type for Traction in Snow #6  
Duo-Grips have been the best for me but they are hard on tarmac. Now that I have 4wd and r4s I hope I don't need them. If I have to buy them this year I'll go with 2 link ladder style.
Tire Chains by TireChains.com

/ Best Chain Type for Traction in Snow #7  
Snow.jpg24234January_08_021.jpg

This is the norm from November to March, and this is not "back country". For us, back country can be 60 feet deep and impassable on maintained roads until mid-July.

I use "H" style chains front and rear in MFWD and have for years. The fronts are crucial in some areas because one slip could put you down and upside down, and no one knowing until daylight.

/ Best Chain Type for Traction in Snow #8  
I've got the same chains Gordon Gould has, and they definitely get the thumbs up from me. Mine are Super Tractor made by Tellefsdal, Aquiline Talons are the same as far as I know.

Sean

/ Best Chain Type for Traction in Snow #9  
I use 2-Link ladder on the rears of my L3710 Kubota with loaded tires. They are more than enough on my steep hill in the snow with a 6 ft. blade on the back.

I still have a brand new set of chains for the fronts still in the boxes if anyones intersted I can check the size.

Kevin

/ Best Chain Type for Traction in Snow #10  
We have V-bar Duo-grip on a Kubota L4310. Great on snow and bits into ice during sleet storms.

Regarding your close clearance, maybe you can switch the wheel dish - should be explained in the Owners Manual.