Gravel driveway maintenance

/ Gravel driveway maintenance #21  
Regarding the crown, both sides of the driveway are on quite a slope, and it seems to me like a crown would be undesirable in that case. The left-hand side slopes to the "outside" across its entire length, rather than having a crown in the center. The right-hand side is more or less flat, but also quite downhill. This causes water to run down it and make ruts, which I haven't exactly figured out what to do about yet--........................
But there are a lot of other projects ahead of that one on the to-do list.

The other problem I have with the right-hand side drive is it is so steep for most of its length that it seems like it would require a pretty substantial side-slope to overcome the water's desire to run downhill to any significant degree. No?

I have some of the same problems with my drive. unfortunately every situation has it's own problems. Reading this and other sites as well as having a pro come out and look at my road and quote a culvert to cross under the road, I've learned it is important to keep the water from running down or across or standing on the road to prevent deteriation of the surface and eventually break down of the base. The crown does this in part along with ditching. My road is straight down hill and the neighbors above me do not maintain their portion so each year I get increasing run off on my portion.

I've attached a couple before and after pictures of my road before and after
Road Before IMG_0055-web.jpgRoad Left ditch IMG-0060-web.jpgRoad right ditch IMG-0068-web.jpgRoad  After IMG_0061-web.jpg

The diversion on the left was there in part when I started but is getting overwhelmed and I have been maintaining by hand.

The pro I got the quote from recommended I ditch the sides even if the water ended up causing a problem down the road (pun intended) so at least the problem would be localized instead of everywhere. In the winter I plan on adding gravel in chevrons to help the crown divert the water to the side and slow the water running on the road. I was lucky in that I have a great base and the Pro told me it was going to break down if I did not do something.

Good luck I am sure there is an opportunity to gradually improve the situation and maybe a solution eventually.
RoN

/ Gravel driveway maintenance #22  
Regarding the crown, both sides of the driveway are on quite a slope, and it seems to me like a crown would be undesirable in that case. The left-hand side slopes to the "outside" across its entire length, rather than having a crown in the center. The right-hand side is more or less flat, but also quite downhill. This causes water to run down it and make ruts, which I haven't exactly figured out what to do about yet--?

Some ideas from folks who know a lot more than I do about roads :D

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/Chapter7-IC4011_269903_7.pdf

http://www.stream.fs.fed.us/water-road/w-r-pdf/crossdrains.pdf

http://www.pwd.org/pdf/water_resources/conservation fact sheets/turnouts.pdf