International 684 with low power

/ International 684 with low power #1  

gatordog

Tractor
1980 MF 280, 1979 IH 684
I just bought and have yet to take delivery of a 1979 International 684 tractor with a Rhino Loader. The dealer replaced the fuel system in an attempt to get it to run, but it runs poorly. I am thinking low compression. I need to run a compression check both dry and wet and then see if it is just one cylinder or just wore out. I also need to check the top end for proper operation. I know to loosen or remove the rockers to check and see if the valves are all the same height, and check the push rods.

My question is what else should I check while I am at this point?

I got this machine for very little money, so if I need to do a major engine overhaul than I am still OK.

Any good parts suppliers for International? I am going to need lots of parts.

/ International 684 with low power #2  
   / International 684 with low power #3  
I just bought and have yet to take delivery of a 1979 International 684 tractor with a Rhino Loader. The dealer replaced the fuel system in an attempt to get it to run, but it runs poorly. I am thinking low compression. I need to run a compression check both dry and wet and then see if it is just one cylinder or just wore out. I also need to check the top end for proper operation. I know to loosen or remove the rockers to check and see if the valves are all the same height, and check the push rods.

My question is what else should I check while I am at this point?

I got this machine for very little money, so if I need to do a major engine overhaul than I am still OK.

Any good parts suppliers for International? I am going to need lots of parts.

Until you figure out the root cause of the problem, don't worry about parts, yet. Since it's a diesel, do you have adequate fuel flow to the pump?
Clogged fuel strainer in the fuel tank, clogged fuel filter(s),injector pump not operating correctly or poorly timed, damaged or dirty injectors, clogged air filter whould be on my check list before assuming that poor compression is the problem. Get the externals checked out first. if you can't find a problem there, then check the compression.

/ International 684 with low power
Until you figure out the root cause of the problem, don't worry about parts, yet. Since it's a diesel, do you have adequate fuel flow to the pump?
Clogged fuel strainer in the fuel tank, clogged fuel filter(s),injector pump not operating correctly or poorly timed, damaged or dirty injectors, clogged air filter whould be on my check list before assuming that poor compression is the problem. Get the externals checked out first. if you can't find a problem there, then check the compression.

I have not seen the tractor yet, but according to the dealer. They installed a new fuel system, pump, injectors, etc and the tractor went from not running to running with reduced power. This was installed by a diesel mechanic at a tractor dealer that has been in business since plows were pulled by horses. I will check fuel and air supply, but I don't think it will be that easy (not with my luck). I know they replaced the fuel system, because I bought the tractor for the cost of that system 1,800 dollars. I guess they could be off one tooth on the pump???? I have never timed a International tractor. I guess it is the same as a John Deere??

/ International 684 with low power #5  
If they still have it, make them check the compression and the air filter and fuel delivery.