Hydraulic Connections

/ Hydraulic Connections #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
IMG_0007.JPGI've had my new Massey with an FEL since January and I avoid using the FEL because it's so hard to attach and remove the hydraulic fittings. I can fight my way through getting them apart but getting them back together takes 2 grown men and a small dog. I use the the male end of a 3/8" extension rod to relieve any remaining pressure against the balls and can get the locking collar retracted, but I can't get the the 2 ends to meet close enough to release the collar.
I must be doing something wrong or maybe I'm just a 6.2 220 lb. wimp. Is there a way to hold back the knurled collar while still pushing the fitting forward.
I've got a new finish mower showing up Tuesday and I'm responsible for getting it off the truck.

/ Hydraulic Connections #2  
I assume the quick disconnects you are relieving by tapping are on the FEL side. Be sure to turn off the tractor and cycle the FEL control lever to release any pressure trapped on the tractor side.

/ Hydraulic Connections
Tractor is shut down and pressure is relieved on both sides. I'm using a 3/8 socket extension to relieve the pressure on the FEL side it's smooth and goes into the fitting. I get an ounce or more from each hose.
Thanks for the reply.

/ Hydraulic Connections #4  
Have you thought about putting ball valve on the loader side hoses!(between the hose and
Coupler) So the fluid pressure is against the valve and not the coupler. We have them on some implements that we unhook while up with pressure on the lines. Since you can relieve pressure on tractor side their not needed.

/ Hydraulic Connections #5  
With the amount of oil you are getting, it sounds like you are really not getting the FEL in a totally relaxed position when you take it off the tractor. The loader has to be positioned such that the cylinders do not support any of the weight. I expect that between the time you release the pressure and try to couple, the weight has shifted the cylinders to build up pressure again. Check the owner's manual. It should explain the proper way to position the FEL when removing.

/ Hydraulic Connections #6  
Not to duplicate what others have said but before connecting and disconnecting the fittings the tractor should be shut off. Then move the FEL joystick around in a circle, back and forth, side to side (you get the idea). That movement should release all pressure on the fittings.

If the FEL is in a stressed position when off, like the bucket tipped slightly, then a bit of pressure will be developed in the lines by the weight of the bucket trying to settle. In other words, everything must be limp and settled.

On the other hand you could just have some tight fittings. See if a hydraulic hose building store will let you try to attach and unattach a set of stock fittings like yours. Then you'll know for sure how it is supposed to work. Some private auto stores or Napa Auto build hoses.

/ Hydraulic Connections #7  
Have you considered investing in a quick connect hydraulic manifold to make your connections easier....
This will also prevent you from mixing up your hoses
You've invested in a FEL - it's a shame you don't used it more because you hate putting in on and off...

Hydra-Snap hydraulic Manifolds

/ Hydraulic Connections #8  
You should be able to push the ball (on the male side) in with your thumb. If not you still have pressure on the line like op have said. I usually push the male side against the loader frame to relieve pressure.

/ Hydraulic Connections #9  
The hydra-snap is cool but how much does that run? The QD on my loader are rusted together and need replacing.

/ Hydraulic Connections #10  
There are several models - one with the pioneer couplers , one with flat face (no electronic), and one with integrated electronic hook ups they range from $350 to $800 - prices are estimates and will vary depending on your local dealer.

Last edited: