Creaper

/ Creaper #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
What purpose were creaper gears for? Can't figure why you would want to go slower than 1st gear low range at an idle.

/ Creaper #3  
also trenchers may require a lower speed than is possible without creeper gear

/ Creaper #4  
I 2nd rototilling, there is no such thing as too slow, they require a lot of power and a set of creeper gears would allow you to throttle back and proceed very slowly preventing damage to tiller and tractor.

Also snowblowing heavy snow and the rolled & packed snow at the end of the driveway from the state snowplow.
I have a Ford 1720 SSS with a 60" snow blower and for years wished I had the optional creeper gears because deep snow would overload the engine requireing me to constantly use the clutch to prevent stalling.
I never got the creeper gears but I installed a turbo and turned the fuel up which cured the power problem.
I would still like to install a set of creeper gears.

/ Creaper #5  
Many times the tractor is doing more than it can at normal speeds, We planted oats and harry vetch for hay to many years in a row and ended up with a monster crop. We cut it baled it in 1st gear on a ford jubilee, popping in and out of gear over and over in a very short distance. ( no live PTO ) Then after we raked it we baled it again and overall we got 170 some baled to the acre, that was an extreme example, many lasting only seconds, but they are many.

/ Creaper #6  
I've never had a need for creeper gear in an Ag situation, given that we always had live PTO machines. However, as noted above, on an industrial tractor, it's essential if you have attachments like trenchers, cable plows, etc.

/ Creaper #7  
Creeper is so that I don't have an "uh-oh" too fast. Mostly rototilling, but using a post hole digger, it helps me to "inch" more accurately, etc.

/ Creaper #8  
You may need one for snow blowing.

/ Creaper
I've got a 5 ft tiller and a 6 ft blower and never needed anything lower than low range 1st gear forward or reverse. If I feel I getting bogged down I move the shuttle shift into N.

/ Creaper #10  
if needing the pto.. you can't use idle.. you need rated speed. at rated speed.. 1st may be too fast.

even in the old fords with trans pto.. the addition of a sherman low let you tach the engine up highand get pto up even though ground speed wasn't ideal.. still :)