3 Generations

/ 3 Generations #1  

Pharm

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota mx5100, MF 1080
Got a new tractor today. Kubota mx5100. Can't wait to do some real work with her.

Kubota Tractor 2012.JPG

This is an upgrade from the tractor I've been using ... purchased by my Dad - a MF 1080:

MF 1080 compressed.jpg

The MF still works great but I've had to work on it a lot. The Massey Ferguson replaced this old Farmall ... not sure what model purchased by either my Grandfather or great uncle.

Tractor-Joe Goat 2012 034 compress.jpg

Time marches on.

/ 3 Generations #2  
Congrats on the mx....nice old iron too

/ 3 Generations
I've now put about 6 hours on the MX5100. It's taken a little time to get use to the FEL and new 3 pt cutter. My previous cutter was hitch and hydraulic controlled. To be honest the old cutter works better but the new cutter is much more maneuverable. I've been thinking about selling the old 1080 with the cutter ... but maybe I should keep it just for mowing:thumbsup:.

Very satisfied with the Kubota so far ... but boy are they loud! I thought newer tractors would be less noisy. Also can't stand the way the parking brake works ... wish there were a warning light. I've already left the parking brake on for about an hour before I realized it. Think there was any damage?

/ 3 Generations #4  
Congratulations on your new MX5100, they are really good units.

I doubt you did any real damage to your tractor, many of us unfortunately have done the same thing.

I am surprised your cutter is not doing well, all our Kubota do well when run at a decent RPM, what kind of cutter are you using and at what RPM?

/ 3 Generations
I have a 6ft heavy duty howse cutter that seems to cut fine ... but I noticed that the single tire in the back would sometimes not turn right and end up cutting into the dirt. Yesterday I was looking at it and I noticed that it had not been greased - I greased it up and it seems to be turning much smoother. The dealer said they had put gear oil in and greased up all the points but I guess they missed one.

Its been raining so I didn't get to test it out but I will next week - I think it will be fine.

My old cutter is 7ft bush hog brand and it's been great... I've had a few hydraulic problems with it though. I've got everything working 100% now. The new cutter should help me get into some areas that I couldn't with the bush hog.

/ 3 Generations #6  
Glad to hear it is doing better, I also use a 6' cutter on one of our tractors to get in tight places our 10' won't fit and if the 6' won't fit, I have a 4' on a BX, if that doesn't do it then it just grows.:)

/ 3 Generations
Glad to hear it is doing better, I also use a 6' cutter on one of our tractors to get in tight places our 10' won't fit and if the 6' won't fit, I have a 4' on a BX, if that doesn't do it then it just grows.:)

I've got some hedge clippers - but they're not near as fun as the tractor.:D

/ 3 Generations #9  
Congratulations on the new tractor.

/ 3 Generations #10  
Nice tractor and I bet you will be glad to have the fel. Takes everyone a bit to get proficient with a fel, take your time and enjoy your new tractor.