What the Heck!. why is my rotary cutter digging a furrow in the lawn!

/ What the Heck!. why is my rotary cutter digging a furrow in the lawn! #1  

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
I am just finishing up mowing one of my extreme slopes in the side yard, with the big Kioti because the JD lawn mower wont make it up the hill. I looked back and noticed that the left gauge wheel (I installed them) in my rotary cutter was digging in as I went up the hill. I was apprehensive that probably what had happened was the the keeper pin had come out of the CAT1 link pins and I was dragging the mower up by one lower link.. But looking back while on the tractor, all seemed well. I raised the mower and it seemed to be level, at least as much as I could ascertain from the seat. So I drove to a level area and bailed off of the tractor to see what was broken. It did not take me long to notice a rather large rock that was jammed between the steel wheel and the frame of the mower. The rock of course was preventing the wheel from turning (locked into some of the casting ribs on the inside of the wheel) and was tearing up the ground. Moral of the story is, when something doesn't seem right, get off and check it out!

James K0UA

/ What the Heck!. why is my rotary cutter digging a furrow in the lawn! #3  
I am just finishing up mowing one of my extreme slopes in the side yard, with the big Kioti because the JD lawn mower wont make it up the hill. I looked back and noticed that the left gauge wheel (I installed them) in my rotary cutter was digging in as I went up the hill. I was apprehensive that probably what had happened was the the keeper pin had come out of the CAT1 link pins and I was dragging the mower up by one lower link.. But looking back while on the tractor, all seemed well. I raised the mower and it seemed to be level, at least as much as I could ascertain from the seat. So I drove to a level area and bailed off of the tractor to see what was broken. It did not take me long to notice a rather large rock that was jammed between the steel wheel and the frame of the mower. The rock of course was preventing the wheel from turning (locked into some of the casting ribs on the inside of the wheel) and was tearing up the ground. Moral of the story is, when something doesn't seem right, get off and check it out!

James K0UA

James Branson has beautful rocks and almost all are antique. Put it on shelf to show when some one asks why the gouge in the yard.
I have rocks the size of a bush hog that keeps getting among my tractor and equipment.
My Father bought a G.P. John Deere with moleboard plow to replace the mules. And plowing would hang the plow on a rock and steel lug wheels would spin. and could not back up with plow hung. So us kids carried slegh hammers 9 pounders and would bust the rock and load onto a rock float pulled by mules to the side of the field.
And to think in high school the coach said we were to light weight to play foot ball.
ken

/ What the Heck!. why is my rotary cutter digging a furrow in the lawn!
Yeah we have the rocks alright,..In Hawaii they call them Hawaiian "love stones" around here we just call them...uh... rocks:D

/ What the Heck!. why is my rotary cutter digging a furrow in the lawn! #5  
James, do you have a photo of your gauge wheel setup?

Bill

/ What the Heck!. why is my rotary cutter digging a furrow in the lawn!
James, do you have a photo of your gauge wheel setup?

Bill

Actually I don't but imagine some 8 inch steel wheels attached to the front edge of the mower with some Heavy C channel steel bolted thru the mower deck. the wheels are on 5/8 inch grade 5 bolts for hubs. I will try to get some photo's but it may be a bit, as I don't get home until it is dark.

Florida Casters and Wheels, Inc. :: Wheels :: Cast Iron Wheels Product Line :: CA / CW / CH Premium Cast Iron Wheels: up to 8000 lbs. :: Cast Iron

James K0UA

/ What the Heck!. why is my rotary cutter digging a furrow in the lawn! #7  
No rush on the photos. I don't work that fast anymore. The casters do sound like a good idea.

/ What the Heck!. why is my rotary cutter digging a furrow in the lawn! #8  
I've got the J Bar Scorpion rotary cutter with four gauge wheels. The link is for their finish mower but the guage wheel setup shows better in this picture. The square stock arm pivots on the rear pin and moving the forward pin adjusts the height. The wheel is held by a tube with an ID just a little more than the OD of the wheel riser. A simple U-shaped piece of steel holds the assembly to the square stock.