3-Point Hitch 3pt lifting height?

/ 3pt lifting height? #1  

Woody65

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300 HST 4wd
I am new to operating tractors but have been having a ball the last month settling in to my new to me JD4300. When I lift an implement ( BH or finish mower) on the 3pt, I notice that it only comes up off the ground 5-10 inches. Is this normal or do I have the top link adjusted wrong. I have seen pics and videos of tractors with these implements at a 30 degree angle ( 20-30 inches) from the ground. Are they using a hyd top link to get the implement that high? Thanks :drink:

/ 3pt lifting height? #2  
Your lifted height is set by the top link the shorter it is the higher your implement will travel when you raise your 3ph.
A hydraulic top link would be handy if you needed the clearance traveling then it could be leveled out before/or during use.

/ 3pt lifting height? #3  
If you shorten the toplink it will come up higher. You may want to read your owners manual to be sure you have it adjusted properly for the mower.

/ 3pt lifting height?
When I hooked up to the BH, I connected the lower arems first and had to adjust the top link out 2 inches to make the connection. Are you saying that after hooking up I should then adjust it back in to allow for a higher clearance when lifting?

/ 3pt lifting height? #5  
When I hooked up to the BH, I connected the lower arems first and had to adjust the top link out 2 inches to make the connection. Are you saying that after hooking up I should then adjust it back in to allow for a higher clearance when lifting?

If you need the higher clearance then yes shorten it.

/ 3pt lifting height? #6  
On my Kubota, at the tractor end there at TWO positions/pins where the Top Link may be connected, one above the other.

The top position/pin is the "normal" connection position for tractor end of the Top Link for most implements.
Lower position give much increased lift. I use the LOWER POSITION for my King Kutter 48" rotary mower. It lifts high.

Using the top/normal pin KK 48" RM only lifts about 10"

I have seen four positions, stacked, for the tractor end of Top Lift on big Ag Tractors.

( I also need the lower pin position to lift my Rollover Box Blade high enough.)

Last edited:
   / 3pt lifting height? #7  
How high will the lift arms themselves raise? If you feel they are not raising as high as your owner's manual states they should, I would check your hydraulic fluid level.

/ 3pt lifting height? #8  
most tractors have a max 2ft lifting hight depending on what implement your using at the time.shredders wont be to far off the ground no matter how your toplink is adjusted.

/ 3pt lifting height? #9  
I am new to operating tractors but have been having a ball the last month settling in to my new to me JD4300. When I lift an implement ( BH or finish mower) on the 3pt, I notice that it only comes up off the ground 5-10 inches. Is this normal or do I have the top link adjusted wrong. I have seen pics and videos of tractors with these implements at a 30 degree angle ( 20-30 inches) from the ground. Are they using a hyd top link to get the implement that high? Thanks :drink:

That height (5-10") sounds about right for my tractor with the brush hog on and top link adjusted to allow some float. Maybe closer to 10-12". There are a lot of different ways to alter this geometry, so spend some time looking at all the different pin/hole combinations there are on your machine. Also, read your manual and do some searches on this site for more adjustment ideas.

/ 3pt lifting height? #10  
Check your lower lift arms also, some have two holes to adjust height v lift power/leverage.