Box Blade Dredges up Rocks

/ Box Blade Dredges up Rocks #11  
With 25 years in heavy construction, I can tell you that you are doing more damage than good. Don't drop the scarifiers so deep so you don't distrurb the road base. Just dress the top of the road. If grass and weeds are a problem, then spray with glyphosphate.

/ Box Blade Dredges up Rocks
Update, I decided to rip up my Mom's existing driveway with the scarifiers and do a little hand raking. Yeah it was more hassle, but her driveway turned out not to be as rocky as mine. I did disturb several melon sized boulders, but too few I think to do any harm. By ripping up the old driveway, before spreading new gravel, it feels to me I'm doing a more complete job. I don't have any experience in this line of work to substantiate that perception, its just my personal opinion and it was bugging me.

Here are some before and after pics. I hope to start spreading new crushed gravel on it in the next day or so. Also included is in the pics is a "harrow" I made from an old clothesline post and some old tire chains I found in the barn.

Now that I have the tractor and equipment, I plan to do annual maintenance on the driveways and not be as aggressive with the scarifiers.

Attachments

• before2.jpg
    before2.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 283
  • harrow.jpg
    harrow.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 295
  • day2_dry.jpg
    day2_dry.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 300
   / Box Blade Dredges up Rocks #13  
I've used a box blade on my mile long drive for 10 years. I have never put the scarifiers down so that I didn't disturb the larger rocks put in as the driveway base. I only move around the smaller rock to fill in holes and ruts. It has worked beautifully. I now touch up the drive with a regular blade and a rock rake I bought for junk value at an auction... To help pull rock into the center of the drive. Your drive now shows a lot of dirt. I'd lay some 1.5 inch rock thinly on it before laying your crusher run or smaller rock. On a flat drive you can also lay a thin layer of rock dust on top of that and it should last years. Don't go cheap with no larger rock because the smaller rock will sink into the mud over time and you'll have to lay much more in annual maintenance.

/ Box Blade Dredges up Rocks #14  
Update, I decided to rip up my Mom's existing driveway with the scarifiers and do a little hand raking. Yeah it was more hassle, but her driveway turned out not to be as rocky as mine. I did disturb several melon sized boulders, but too few I think to do any harm. By ripping up the old driveway, before spreading new gravel, it feels to me I'm doing a more complete job. I don't have any experience in this line of work to substantiate that perception, its just my personal opinion and it was bugging me.

Here are some before and after pics. I hope to start spreading new crushed gravel on it in the next day or so. Also included is in the pics is a "harrow" I made from an old clothesline post and some old tire chains I found in the barn.

Now that I have the tractor and equipment, I plan to do annual maintenance on the driveways and not be as aggressive with the scarifiers.

------------------------------
With what I see in the pictures you posted I also would have dug it up at least a little. Around this area I have used "compaction" gravel (about 3/4" gravel) to great success in major repairs to old driveways. Then it takes minimal grading to maintain it I have found.

Good luck

/ Box Blade Dredges up Rocks
Thanks for the suggestions but I'm kind of going a different route with the new gravel. On my driveway I used a one-inch recycled material made from construction debris, crushed concrete, brick, asphalt, shingles, etc. Its "made" locally and delivered for $13/ton. Its seems to be holding up to its claims of compacting well and becoming a solid road base. One of my vehicles is a 16,000lb deuce-and-a-half so the driveway is getting a good workout. Time will tell if buying this recycled material was a good decision. :)

Edit,I forgot to mention the driveway was wet in the "after" pictures. We had a lot of rain just days before, I agree there's some soil in it, but its darker than it normally looks due to the moisture.

/ Box Blade Dredges up Rocks #16  
Katahdin,
I like your dog, he appears smart enough to stay out of the mud.

If it were me reworking your mother's driveway I would have put down a 1 to 1 1/2" layer of 3/4" crushed stone, that is about it. No rippers because there was no need to. From all appearances there weren't any notable ruts or pot holes, just an old hardpacked driveway that needed some gravel on the top.

I think that now the weeds will be more plentiful than before as the amount of dirt on top has been increased. You will need more material now about 50% increase over what you could have gotten by with. For me having to spend an extra 50% on materials would cut my profit considerably.

About the recycled material, some of this stuff works okay but I doubt it is better than rock. I use crushed rock with about 5 faces on a typical individual stone, these seem to pack down very tight. Where I have a choice I try to pick a color that works well with the site.

Here's some pics of a driveway I reworked early this year, this driveway and parking area had not been graded in atleast 10 years that I know of. I was able to get some tan colored crushed rock. I used the tlb to distribute the gravel and the tractor with landplane to smooth.

/ Box Blade Dredges up Rocks #17  
From what I see in the pic of the tractor with box blade attached,the top link needs to be shortened. It looks like the BB is riding on the back edge and not the front edge. If so, then I can see why you were needing to use the scarifiers since the blade wasnt cutting in.

edit..after looking at the pics closer, I can see where you drug the BB into the edge of the grass and it wasnt cutting at all....just gliding over the surface. Adjust /shorten the top link for a more aggressive cut when needed. Lengthen the top link for a more smoothing action. You will find a sweet spot in the middle,where it will only cut in lightly and you can then skim the surface easier .

Last edited:
   / Box Blade Dredges up Rocks #18  
You can't help but kick up rocks on many gravel roads with the BB. Do what I do, get a teenager (or neighbor) to walk behind and chuck them off the side of the road for you so you don't have to keep getting on and off the tractor. No two roads are the same and sometimes you have to dig in a little to get some dirt to move to the rougher spots. Can't always do it "by the book" when time and money are in short supply and you just want to smooth things out a little.

/ Box Blade Dredges up Rocks #19  
Really it looks like you are using the blade because you have it, but not because its needed. I find it a lot easier to control grass/weeds on the drive with herbicide rather than iron.

If the drive is properly crowned, and doesn't have pot holes/ruts that you are trying to remove, you are probably going to do more harm than good by reworking it with the box blade.

mom's drive looks like it still has a lot of soil in your 'base'. As long as you've got soil in there, weeds are going to grow vigorously. You would probably be better served by removing a few inches of that material and putting in 3-6" of new gravel, with fines. That kind of gravel packs very tightly and helps exclude weeds.

/ Box Blade Dredges up Rocks #20  
Bringing soil up into your gravel only contaminates it and will make it useless. As others have said if you have new gravel place it over the top of the existing. Use Roundup on weeds and grass not scarifier teeth. All the weeds you think you ripped up where actually re-planted and will come right back.