Any ideas on improving this shed??

/ Any ideas on improving this shed?? #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I built this simple shed to house implements only, my disc, planter, grain drill, and cutter. I listened to a buddy as to its placement but now realize the front catches the afternoon sun and because of the height of the front roof, my implements, although sheltered from the rain, still bake. I worry about the effects of sunlight aging the implements that I worked so hard restoring. I realize its no big deal, but still would rather protect them better.

I want a low budget solution. I am thinking about buying a recycled billboard tarp and rigging a curtain across the front. Might look a little bizzare, but would offer some shade. Any ideas on this plan or other solutions??

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 472
  • new shed 002.jpg
    new shed 002.jpg
    697.5 KB · Views: 621
   / Any ideas on improving this shed?? #2  
I built this simple shed to house implements only, my disc, planter, grain drill, and cutter. I listened to a buddy as to its placement but now realize the front catches the afternoon sun and because of the height of the front roof, my implements, although sheltered from the rain, still bake. I worry about the effects of sunlight aging the implements that I worked so hard restoring. I realize its no big deal, but still would rather protect them better.

I want a low budget solution. I am thinking about buying a recycled billboard tarp and rigging a curtain across the front. Might look a little bizzare, but would offer some shade. Any ideas on this plan or other solutions??

It won't do much for what you seek but adding fascia board will help the ascetics and also protect the rafters from end rot...

/ Any ideas on improving this shed?? #3  
I would look at a shade net. These can be bought at Tractor Supply, or any large agricultural supply fairly inexpensively, and you can even get them from tractor trailers used. They are used in green houses, and over plants, and they work great for keeping the shade off of what you want, and they are very strong. You can get them in any size, but this is just an example of two companies that sell them for fairly inexpensive.

51LmHrHKyxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-x-20-Blac...DefaultDomain_100&hash=item3a7a298937&vxp=mtr

Polypropylene Shade Tarp, 47% Shade (10' X 18') | Poly Tarps | Agricultural Fabrics | Agriculture Solutions LLC
SunBlocker 40% Prefabricated Shade Panels - FarmTek

/ Any ideas on improving this shed?? #4  
My dad built one very similar and that is a very typical tractor shed build IMHO...
I would go with the shade net idea that NHmitch suggested if your primary focus is for sun protection...
I don't know how well they would hold up over years of use or the cost...

/ Any ideas on improving this shed?? #5  
Tarp is the cheapest solution. However I see your state is located near coast so I assume you get alot of winds or hurricane winds? I used tarp for my new garage for 2 years until I got money saved up for doors. I had to replace them once since it was ripped /shredded from lake winds I get here. I first used the medium duty ones and the cheap thin stuff. Works just fine for me for my purpose. I used those large spring plastic clamps to hold them up when I need to take my tractor out.

/ Any ideas on improving this shed?? #6  
You indicated that you were considering using "recycled billboard tarp." I have used those things for many things over the years. They do stand up to a lot of wear and tear, and last a long time. If the price is reasonable I think that your idea to use recycled billboard tarp has a lot of merit myself.

/ Any ideas on improving this shed?? #7  
-bracing...didn't see it, I'd add some

/ Any ideas on improving this shed?? #8  
On mine i used cheap lattice, just a thought. I mainly wanted to hide my junk from prying eyes. If you use a billboard tarp cut a c slit every 2sqft or so. I use a chew can as a template for the c slit. That will let some wind through and put less stress on the tarp and building. I worked at a sign shop and we did just that so the signs wouldnt pull the t post out. Also i would use a "nailer" to attach the tarp. Basically tack the tarp up then frame out the edges with a 1x4, then run screws through the nailer and tarp into the building.

/ Any ideas on improving this shed??
Thanks for the feedback. Glad someone has had good experience with a billboard tarp. I ordered one so hopefully I can rig it as a curtain It has a hem on each side so maybe I can stirring it on a cable or pole across the top and let it hang, maybe connected with bungees at the bottom. As far as bracing, there is more than appears. I used some scrap angle iron at all the corners and in the middle going both ways. I think this picture was taken before I had finished it completely. And fascia would look better. I wish I had cut the rafter ends vertical before I added the roofing rather than leaving them square.

The shade netting also looks good. If my tarp doesn't work out, I may try that. It's mainly the front I want to cover, as that is the main sun exposure. I guess I could also just drape a cheap tarp over each implement and secure it and get some protection.

/ Any ideas on improving this shed?? #10  
Although my "PTO shed" is smaller than yours, I had the same concern so I welded a channel steel to my beam to allow me to fasten a single barn track across the full front to hold my four hanging doors that I made out of two by four frames reinforced with plywood gussets at corners and then wrapped each door with typical TSC green tarps. The extra 5 feet of track extending past one end (and three feet at other end) allows doors to be opened in various configurations to drive my tractor in to unload implement on flat concrete floor or on rack I made. The cheap doors with tarps have lasted two winters now, the tracks and roller sets was the most expensive element but will last . I suspect a few 2x6 or 2x8's attached to your beam and extending out would allow you to attach a basic single barn track also. Just another idea.