moving a pallet of green firewood

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #11  
Here is how I move my wood. If I am going very far with it I use cambuckle straps to secure it. Green wood is really heavy. I would try it with your tractor, be sure you have a good ballast. I usually stack higher than what those 1st two pictures show. I usually go to the top of the forks.

012.jpg

011.jpg

IMG_20120909_190139.jpg

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #12  
Can you measure the dimensions of your wood-stack and figure it in fractions of a cord???

Most standard pallets are 48" x 40"

Si it dont matter if you stack them 2 rows 48" long and 40 high or vice versa, it comes out th 35.5 cu ft. Which is just a shade more than 1/4 or a cord @ .27 cord.

Since an average cord of hardwood is in the 3200-3600lb per cord range DRY and 4500-5500lb range Green, you are looking at:

~860-970lbs dry and ~1200-1500lbs green.

Not sure what your tractor can lift, but I agree that clamp-on forks will hinder you alot. So I say...try it. If you have to take some wood off, do it.

And its funny you mentioned no oak:laughing: So that begs the question...what exctally are you cutting?? Cause, (depending on what oak species) there are several wood types that are HEAVIER than oak. Osage orange?? Hickory??

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #13  
Can you measure the dimensions of your wood-stack and figure it in fractions of a cord???

Most standard pallets are 48" x 40"

Si it dont matter if you stack them 2 rows 48" long and 40 high or vice versa, it comes out th 35.5 cu ft. Which is just a shade more than 1/4 or a cord @ .27 cord.

Since an average cord of hardwood is in the 3200-3600lb per cord range DRY and 4500-5500lb range Green, you are looking at:

~860-970lbs dry and ~1200-1500lbs green.

Not sure what your tractor can lift, but I agree that clamp-on forks will hinder you alot. So I say...try it. If you have to take some wood off, do it.

And its funny you mentioned no oak:laughing: So that begs the question...what exctally are you cutting?? Cause, (depending on what oak species) there are several wood types that are HEAVIER than oak. Osage orange?? Hickory??

You confirmed what I thought, 2 pallets are a truck load.

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #14  
You could move the wood on your 3ph if you had a pallet mover.

/ moving a pallet of green firewood
Thanks for the info guys...

LD1 - I did some research and came up with the same conclusions . I know someone that makes forks and he will let me try a set, pretty cool of him.

You asked-

"And its funny you mentioned no oak So that begs the question...what exctally are you cutting?? Cause, (depending on what oak species) there are several wood types that are HEAVIER than oak. Osage orange?? Hickory?? "

I have hard & soft maple, cherry, yellow birch and beech on my property. Come to find out beech is about the same density as red oak and puts out more btu's.

94Bullit- I do have ballast-backhoe and a ballast barrel. Ever tried to pick up heavy things without ballast?? I did ONCE!

I will try this in the next few days and let you know how I make out. If the slip-on loader forks wont do it I will get the 3 pth forks.

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #16  
Thanks for the info guys...

LD1 - I did some research and came up with the same conclusions . I know someone that makes forks and he will let me try a set, pretty cool of him.

You asked-

"And its funny you mentioned no oak So that begs the question...what exctally are you cutting?? Cause, (depending on what oak species) there are several wood types that are HEAVIER than oak. Osage orange?? Hickory?? "

I have hard & soft maple, cherry, yellow birch and beech on my property. Come to find out beech is about the same density as red oak and puts out more btu's.

94Bullit- I do have ballast-backhoe and a ballast barrel. Ever tried to pick up heavy things without ballast?? I did ONCE!

I will try this in the next few days and let you know how I make out. If the slip-on loader forks wont do it I will get the 3 pth forks.

One thing to keep in mind is that all wood is the same BTU per POUND. People like the osage, hickory, and oak so well because it is denser. Meaning that you can get more pounds of it in a given space (cord). But even soft woods like poplar and pine give the same BTU per pound if dried to the same moisture level.

also, You mentioned "green" wood, and some wood out there just has WAY more water in it when green. For example, sycamore is just as heavy if not heavier than oak when green. But dry the two out and its a different story. Cause alot of the "green" weight of the sycamore is water. Dry them both out and the oak becomes way heavier cause it dont have much moisture to give up.

Cherry, ash, maple (hard), and elm are all about the same as far as density and thus BTU's per cord. Oak is a tad better. And locust, hickory, beech, and osage rank at the top. But you also have to factor in time spent. While hickory, locust, and beech give more BTU's per cord, it takes longer to process than the likes of ash, cherry, and red-oak, which are 3 of the easiest splitting woods.

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #17  
Unless I misunderstood something, Roman, you'd better look at the the recent thread about 3 point lifting height when considering such forks. Front forks have a greater lift height as opposed to 3 pt. But as I understand it, 3pt forks have a greater lift capacity. I guess this all depends on your tractor potential and your intentions. .....newbie ....Mike

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #18  
LD1 said:
One thing to keep in mind is that all wood is the same BTU per POUND. People like the osage, hickory, and oak so well because it is denser. Meaning that you can get more pounds of it in a given space (cord). But even soft woods like poplar and pine give the same BTU per pound if dried to the same moisture level.

also, You mentioned "green" wood, and some wood out there just has WAY more water in it when green. For example, sycamore is just as heavy if not heavier than oak when green. But dry the two out and its a different story. Cause alot of the "green" weight of the sycamore is water. Dry them both out and the oak becomes way heavier cause it dont have much moisture to give up.

Cherry, ash, maple (hard), and elm are all about the same as far as density and thus BTU's per cord. Oak is a tad better. And locust, hickory, beech, and osage rank at the top. But you also have to factor in time spent. While hickory, locust, and beech give more BTU's per cord, it takes longer to process than the likes of ash, cherry, and red-oak, which are 3 of the easiest splitting woods.

http://firewoodresource.com/firewood-btu-ratings/

Confused :)

For clarification purposes (not trying to hijack or flame)

1 pound of wood; any species gives off same BTU's?

On the chart posted above a cord of different types of wood give off much different BTU's

A cord; How Is It Measured?

Follow these steps to ensure that you have received the correct quantity:

Stack the wood neatly in a line or row, ensuring that individual pieces are touching and parallel to each other with as few gaps as possible.
Measure the length, width and height of the stack in feet (for example, 4 feet x 8 feet x 4 feet).
Multiply these measurements to calculate the volume in cubic feet.
If your result is equal to 128 cubic feet, you have a cord.

Conflicting info here?

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #19  
LD1 is correct. Denser wood contains more pounds per cord, and thus more BTUs per cord.

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #20  
Tree Species and Firewood BTU Ratings Chart for Heat Energy Content

Confused :)

For clarification purposes (not trying to hijack or flame)

1 pound of wood; any species gives off same BTU's?

On the chart posted above a cord of different types of wood give off much different BTU's

A cord; How Is It Measured?

Follow these steps to ensure that you have received the correct quantity:

Stack the wood neatly in a line or row, ensuring that individual pieces are touching and parallel to each other with as few gaps as possible.
Measure the length, width and height of the stack in feet (for example, 4 feet x 8 feet x 4 feet).
Multiply these measurements to calculate the volume in cubic feet.
If your result is equal to 128 cubic feet, you have a cord.

Conflicting info here?

Thanks S219.

ericher69: cords of wood is volume. Weight is weight. Yes, a cord of oak gives off more BTU than say pine, but it weighs more too.

Just an example (these aret actual numbers but just an example), lets say a cord poplar weighs 2500lbs. A cord of oak may be 50% heavier. That means the oak will give off 50% more BTU per CORD, but that makes the BTU per pound the same.

SO...if you have 1 ton of wood dried to 8%, it dont matter if its pine, poplar, oak, ash, or hickory. The BTU content will be the same. BUT....the pine and poplar will take up more space to get that ton. THats why the hardwoods are desirable, because a cord of hardwood weighs more than softwood, therefor, because it weighs more, has more btu per cord.