moving a pallet of green firewood

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #41  
I would use pallet forks. I stack rock maple on a 3 sided pallet. 58 cu/ft per palllet. slightly less than a half a cord. I figure about 17/1800lbs per lift? I've handled pallets of pellets, 2000lbs. my stacks of wood is a little lighter feeling.

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #42  
pallet wood.jpg

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #43  
My opinion is that I have the QA and forks for the loader but I think I will fine this winter that the three point hitch method will suit me better.It moght not lift high, but that isnt a problem for me, and I like to ahve the weight ballast for the snow and ice..Otherwise Id have to mount something for counter weight on the rear to account for the loader forks.
Im a little surprised that the forks on the QA dont lift as much as I had originally thought .I converted from tthe forks extended out on the loader bucket.
Also on the 3 pt hitch its easier to see whats going on ..flyingcow has a good size tractor for this stuff..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #44  
Chopped, the 3-point will work very well. And yes, i got kind of a nice unit to lug and stack pallets.

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #45  
Wyere do you guys get palets?

The company I work for throws them away. I was told that any of them laying around behind the plant were free for the taking, but to not crawl into the dumpster to get them (liability). Now if I need some, I talk to the dock supervisor and he saves me a stack. It costs my company $1 each to dispose of them, so it works for both of us. You may drive through an industrial area and start asking what they do with their used pallets. Some businesses will be worried about the liability and say no, others will say yes and will give you more than you can haul. I also see them listed pretty frequently in the free section of craigslist.

/ moving a pallet of green firewood
I found homemade 3 pth forks on craigslist. Made of 2" square tubing. My tractor lifted a 3/4 full pallet easily but the forks need to be strenghtend. I had to chain the pallet to the fork upright to stop the forks from bending.
I will add some more steel to the forks. I should be all set if I add ballast to the FEL.
I will let you all know how I make out...Wish I could open the recent pics, **** dialup!

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #47  
Minden Hills-20121008-00056.jpgI only have a forklift...but can readily lift 6000lbs with mine... i like that this is something others do, i've been bringing skids up to my property to get ready...i use skids for everything, firewood, scaffoldilng storage, snowmobile storage etc...and then move things around and OUT OF REACH from others who might want to steal stuff :) my lift is pretty big though. 4x4 with 14.9x24" tires on each corner. Great ideas for reinforcing the pallets to hold more. i'm stacked pretty high already.

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #48  
Pallet forks are something I'm using more than originally thought I would. As you said, I'm puting almost anything I can on pallets.

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #49  
View attachment 285208I only have a forklift...but can readily lift 6000lbs with mine... i like that this is something others do, i've been bringing skids up to my property to get ready...i use skids for everything, firewood, scaffoldilng storage, snowmobile storage etc...and then move things around and OUT OF REACH from others who might want to steal stuff :) my lift is pretty big though. 4x4 with 14.9x24" tires on each corner. Great ideas for reinforcing the pallets to hold more. i'm stacked pretty high already.

Love your machine HD. Plenty strong for wood stuff and with those tires are you doing any skidding as well with it?