moving a pallet of green firewood

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #51  
Love your machine HD. Plenty strong for wood stuff and with those tires are you doing any skidding as well with it?

Thanks. I have a lot of standing dead elm on my property. I used the forklift to bring that in. i literally lift the logs into the air to avoid dragging in the mud. 2-3 at a time... not big wood mind you...but was fun. it does clear a wide path though...and i am not going to use it much more unless access is good as i'm probably taking out too much with it. i have gone once around the property with it so far and can pull most stumps etc out as i go. mkaing a snowmobile/dirtbike type trail. it has a 4 cylinder Perkins in it. Just put the other fork back on today, i had bent the fork shaft (holds teh fork on the mast) and made a replacement. moved my first pallet with elm on it and didn't spill any..which was a good sign. won't have to make cribs for the wood.

a note on the tires, i've had to learn the art of plugging them. hoping to do new ones..but probably cost the same as i paid for the machine...or more ;) i like the fact most parts i can fab/replace/fix... stick welder is all i need with this thing.

this will be my first full winter plowing with it too... gona put the golf cart enclosure on it and see how that holds up.

i'd type all night, thanks for the comment.

Hayes

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #52  
Thanks. I have a lot of standing dead elm on my property. I used the forklift to bring that in. i literally lift the logs into the air to avoid dragging in the mud. 2-3 at a time... not big wood mind you...but was fun. it does clear a wide path though...and i am not going to use it much more unless access is good as i'm probably taking out too much with it. i have gone once around the property with it so far and can pull most stumps etc out as i go. mkaing a snowmobile/dirtbike type trail. it has a 4 cylinder Perkins in it. Just put the other fork back on today, i had bent the fork shaft (holds teh fork on the mast) and made a replacement. moved my first pallet with elm on it and didn't spill any..which was a good sign. won't have to make cribs for the wood.

a note on the tires, i've had to learn the art of plugging them. hoping to do new ones..but probably cost the same as i paid for the machine...or more ;) i like the fact most parts i can fab/replace/fix... stick welder is all i need with this thing.

this will be my first full winter plowing with it too... gona put the golf cart enclosure on it and see how that holds up.

Hayes
That is a neat "tractor". You could make 1 cord skids for your firewood! I was thinking the other day for alot of things I do with my tractor, one of those reverse drive tractors would make alot of sense. Your forklift is pretty much the same idea, maybe you could add a hydraulic motor and have a PTO too?

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #53  
That is a neat "tractor". You could make 1 cord skids for your firewood! I was thinking the other day for alot of things I do with my tractor, one of those reverse drive tractors would make alot of sense. Your forklift is pretty much the same idea, maybe you could add a hydraulic motor and have a PTO too?

You are correct, Hayes could lift an entire pallet cord of wood (4'x8'x4') in theory. His challenge would be making a pallet that would support the 4 or 5 thousand pounds of wood (green) lifted into the air if it were a dense hardwood. What also needs to be taken into consideration is this will not be a static load and thus could be subject to substantial load increases as he is moving this size pallet around. Not saying moving this amount of split wood at one time would be feasible but it would be fun to see. His pallet base would probably have to be made with 6x6's or 2x10's.

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #54  

Hayes

Your machine negates all the bad things I am doing to my tractor in this photo. I need to stop moving wood this way to the processing area and use a 3 pt carrier or something for the back of the tractor as that is where its strength is much like where your machine has its strength.

Attachments

• PC042078.jpg
    PC042078.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 260