JD 5303 Range Shift Lever

/ JD 5303 Range Shift Lever #1  

deere5105

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD
Is anyone familiar with an adjustment for the resistance on the range shift lever on a 2008 JD 5303? This is the 9F/3R Synchronized transmission. This is the lever on the left side from the seat position and controls the ranges A, B and C. The gear shift lever on the right hand side that controls gears 1, 2, 3 and R moves much more easily than the range lever. It has always been much harder to move and I haven't given it much thought since I primarily stay in the "B" range. Had some family members using tractor today and asked why it was so hard to move. Got me thinking there is probably some way to adjust it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

/ JD 5303 Range Shift Lever #2  
I own two 5403s and a 5203, and all three require different amounts of effort to range shift. The 5403 that I bought new never sat outside and shifts smooth. The other two were bought used and sat on the dealer lot for a while with bad shifter boots. I removed the cracked boots on both tractors, squirted oil into the shifter base, and put new boots back on. All tractors are stored inside. This made a huge difference in shifting, but still not as slick as the original 5403. Moisture in the shift mechanism is not good. Hope that helps.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using TractorByNet

/ JD 5303 Range Shift Lever
Kessler Farms said:
I own two 5403s and a 5203, and all three require different amounts of effort to range shift. The 5403 that I bought new never sat outside and shifts smooth. The other two were bought used and sat on the dealer lot for a while with bad shifter boots. I removed the cracked boots on both tractors, squirted oil into the shifter base, and put new boots back on. All tractors are stored inside. This made a huge difference in shifting, but still not as slick as the original 5403. Moisture in the shift mechanism is not good. Hope that helps.

Have noticed at times would be easy and sometimes hard to move. Can't really pinpoint possible reasons why. Mine has been under barn since I owned and believe previous owner kept it inside shop. I bought it with couple hundred hours from dealer in north Alabama. Don't think it sat long on his lot. I tried looking at parts diagram and didn't really come up with any easy fixes. Sounds like you lubricated an external joint and wasn't an internal problem. May look at it little closer. Dealer recommended bringing it in and let them go over it. Would be around $450!! I can live with it for that!!!

/ JD 5303 Range Shift Lever #4  
If you remove the clamp on the shifter, pull the boot up just enough to pour some oil in, then reclamp the boot... it should help. You're lubing the shifter pivot and linkage in the shift tower.

Kessler Farms said:
If you remove the clamp on the shifter, pull the boot up just enough to pour some oil in, then reclamp the boot... it should help. You're lubing the shifter pivot and linkage in the shift tower.

Taking your suggestion and choice of words literally, it sounds like you are not suggesting a WD40 type lubricant but something more like motor oil. Am I understanding that correctly and if I am what type oil are you suggesting?

Seems you must be pleased with the 5xx3 serious units to own three. Have you had any mechanical issues? Many hours on them? 2wd or 4wd? Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

/ JD 5303 Range Shift Lever #6  
As for the lubricant, I use hydraulic fluid, since it will drain to the tranny case. 2wd 2006 5403 1645 hrs., 4wd 2008 5403 1250 hrs., and 2wd 2010 5203 473 hrs. I have had no electrical or mechanical issues with any of them. Replaced battery on the '06 this year, that's it. So yes, I'm happy with them.

/ JD 5303 Range Shift Lever #7  
ForumRunner_20121003_205301.png

ForumRunner_20121003_205344.png

ForumRunner_20121003_205412.png

ForumRunner_20121003_205455.png

ForumRunner_20121003_205551.png

Like the pics!

How wide is the pull type mower? Any issues pulling it in tall grass?

ForumRunner_20121004_213846.png

ForumRunner_20121004_213903.png

/ JD 5303 Range Shift Lever #9  
The 472 haybine is 7ft., the disk mower is 8 ft. No problem with power on either 5403. I've pulled the haybine with the 5203 as well.