Farmall Belt Pulley

/ Farmall Belt Pulley #1  

DanB53

Bronze Member
Tractor
McCormick W4
I'm changing the fluids and I know the belt pulley uses oil but does anyone know what feeds the oil into it or, if it is seperate what kind of oil do i put into it? Any input would be greatly appreciated. :confused3:

/ Farmall Belt Pulley #2  
If you mean your W4, the belt pulley is driven off a main drive gear in the front of the trans. It is open underneath the cover, and relies on the gears slinging oil up. So if your transmission level is full, you are good to go.

/ Farmall Belt Pulley
If you mean your W4, the belt pulley is driven off a main drive gear in the front of the trans. It is open underneath the cover, and relies on the gears slinging oil up. So if your transmission level is full, you are good to go.

Thanks DJ I appreciate the input. I was just confused as to why there was a fill plug on the top of the case. But I guess it must just be an inspection hole.

/ Farmall Belt Pulley #4  
Yeah, I'm not sure why either, unless it may be easier to fill from there depending on what is mounted on the tractor. I do believe the rear end housing is the same as an H, other then the grearing may be different, and axle housings, gear shift etc., to convert to a standard model.

/ Farmall Belt Pulley #5  
i know on a c they mention pouring in a lil up there..like a pint or something.. but my C has the BP deleted and blanked off.. so i didn't need to worry about it.. :)

/ Farmall Belt Pulley
Ya I filled the last gallon or so of the transmission through the fill plug on the housing to be safe

/ Farmall Belt Pulley #7  
After thinking about it all day..., I got my old H-HV Op. manual out, just to double check. The reason for the fill plug is, when getting a new belt pulley drive as an attachment, it instructs to pour one pint into that fill plug to assure immediate lubrication of the new parts., after which proper level is maintained from oil in the transmission.

/ Farmall Belt Pulley
That makes sense. I'm glad I poured some oil down that plug because the tractor has been sitting for 25+ years so it would have been bone dry.

/ Farmall Belt Pulley #9  
I installed a pulley assembly from an M onto my 560 Std and found no drain for the gearbox. When the box was set on the shop floor on a tilt it leaked out a puddle.
The box retains a small amount in a trough to lubricate on start up if the pulley is used.