Tractor
    MF 135

Default Convert to Live PTO

I have a 1956 Ferguson TO 35 that I really like a ;lot. Only thing is I wish it had a live PTO. Is there anyway to convert it to a live PTO? Thanks - Gary
    Last edited by Gary Mickle; 10-03-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Default Re: Convert to Live PTO

Nope.

Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

Easy way? I don't think so.
    The 1958-60 TO-35 Deluxe has the 2-stage clutch (live pto).
    So, I'd look for one of those later models.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Mickle View Post
    I have a 1956 Ferguson TO 35 that I really like a ;lot. Only thing is I wish it had a live PTO. Is there anyway to convert it to a live PTO without a big expense? Thanks - Gary

easy way? not really..

non expensive way? not really

possible? kinda

your gergy has a single stage clutch.. etc.. stomp on the foot clutch and drivetrain and pto stop.. pto is off the countershaft.. thus stopping the input shaft stops cpto and pinion.

there is a rear pinion clutch that fit the ford N and later the ford NAA.. the later one was hyd applied using a small pump off the nose of the tach drive on the hyd pump.. line ran back to a side cover to a control valve.. that valve controlled a hyd clutch pack that was installed in place of the hollow coupling tube that ran from the aft of the tranny to the pinion ( and ring gear ).

throwing theat lever clutched the pinion.. thus tractor stopped moving.. but if you didn't stomp the clutch.. pto stayed running.. thus you added a 2nd stage to your clutcvh.. down the line. some other tractors had a similar setup.. foot and hand clutch to accomplish similar.

there was a straight mechanical version for the 8n.. those were both commercially produced. i have seen a third one that was made at a machine shop, way back in the 50's.

I have also see a guy build an AXLE clutch that used the open diffy to accomplish the same thing.. though MUCH MUCH more difficult to implement.

i'd think a simple mechanical pinion cluitch would be the way to go.

it's very possible the unit from a ford 8n may be a mor eor less drop in / custom fit in that very similar early fergy. on the other hand.. the 'starting parts' for this project would be one of them pinion clutch kits.. and I have seen them go for 800-1000$.. and then that would just be the operational basis that then you might have to weld/grind/machine/fabricate on a bit to make work.

alternately.. you could scratch fab a kit using similar setup.. make a clutchable connection out of the area wher ethe hollow pinion tube now sets... plenty of room in there above the pto shaft.. pretty much just needs a hyd clutch, and then a small volume engine driven pump on the engine.. like a power steering pump... etc.. that.. or just go mechanical...

Tractor
    Kubota L5740

easiest way buy a to/mf 35 delux
    easier way buy a to/MF 35 or early 135 swap your front end including engine onto the live pto trans rear end

or you can buy my MF 35 deluxe
    Kubota L5740 La854
    MF 35 Deluxe gas wloader...For sale

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

for sure easier to simply buy a machine with live pto.. sell olfder one for 75-90% of the cost and be WAY ahwead and not reinventing the wheel... for sure!