Convert to Live PTO

/ Convert to Live PTO #1  

Gary Mickle

Tractor
MF 135
I have a 1956 Ferguson TO 35 that I really like a ;lot. Only thing is I wish it had a live PTO. Is there anyway to convert it to a live PTO? Thanks - Gary

Last edited:
   / Convert to Live PTO #3  
Easy way? I don't think so.
The 1958-60 TO-35 Deluxe has the 2-stage clutch (live pto).
So, I'd look for one of those later models.

/ Convert to Live PTO #4  
I have a 1956 Ferguson TO 35 that I really like a ;lot. Only thing is I wish it had a live PTO. Is there anyway to convert it to a live PTO without a big expense? Thanks - Gary

easy way? not really..

non expensive way? not really

possible? kinda

your gergy has a single stage clutch.. etc.. stomp on the foot clutch and drivetrain and pto stop.. pto is off the countershaft.. thus stopping the input shaft stops cpto and pinion.

there is a rear pinion clutch that fit the ford N and later the ford NAA.. the later one was hyd applied using a small pump off the nose of the tach drive on the hyd pump.. line ran back to a side cover to a control valve.. that valve controlled a hyd clutch pack that was installed in place of the hollow coupling tube that ran from the aft of the tranny to the pinion ( and ring gear ).

throwing theat lever clutched the pinion.. thus tractor stopped moving.. but if you didn't stomp the clutch.. pto stayed running.. thus you added a 2nd stage to your clutcvh.. down the line. some other tractors had a similar setup.. foot and hand clutch to accomplish similar.

there was a straight mechanical version for the 8n.. those were both commercially produced. i have seen a third one that was made at a machine shop, way back in the 50's.

I have also see a guy build an AXLE clutch that used the open diffy to accomplish the same thing.. though MUCH MUCH more difficult to implement.

i'd think a simple mechanical pinion cluitch would be the way to go.

it's very possible the unit from a ford 8n may be a mor eor less drop in / custom fit in that very similar early fergy. on the other hand.. the 'starting parts' for this project would be one of them pinion clutch kits.. and I have seen them go for 800-1000$.. and then that would just be the operational basis that then you might have to weld/grind/machine/fabricate on a bit to make work.

alternately.. you could scratch fab a kit using similar setup.. make a clutchable connection out of the area wher ethe hollow pinion tube now sets... plenty of room in there above the pto shaft.. pretty much just needs a hyd clutch, and then a small volume engine driven pump on the engine.. like a power steering pump... etc.. that.. or just go mechanical...

/ Convert to Live PTO #5  
easiest way buy a to/mf 35 delux
easier way buy a to/MF 35 or early 135 swap your front end including engine onto the live pto trans rear end

or you can buy my MF 35 deluxe :)

/ Convert to Live PTO #6  
for sure easier to simply buy a machine with live pto.. sell olfder one for 75-90% of the cost and be WAY ahwead and not reinventing the wheel... for sure!