Ford 681 Select-O-Speed Questions

/ Ford 681 Select-O-Speed Questions #1  

SpencerP

Tractor
Ford 681 SOS
I recently purchased a 681 SOS (year=1960). Am rebuilding the engine and the transmission looks good. I have the necessary manuals (even got the owner's manual) but still have a couple of questions.

1)There is a lever on the left side and just forward of the seat (lower on the transmission casting) marked on and off. Anyone know what it turns on or off?

2) The pull handle on the dash...I'm assuming that if I pull it out I disengage the PTO and with it in the PTO runs...right? (if I'm wrong...what does it do?) I originally thought this was to shift it to the higher PTO speed, but I found another lever on the transmission housing that I think (maybe) does that.

Many thanks for your input.

/ Ford 681 Select-O-Speed Questions #2  
I haven't seen a select-o-speed in in over 25 years but I would guess the the lever is the PTO and the pull handle is fuel cut off if it is diesel.
That is just a guess.

/ Ford 681 Select-O-Speed Questions
Thanks for the input....I've learned through a couple of others that the handle in question activates the PTO. Pull it out to turn it on, push it in to turn it off. The lever toward the rear is for the "ground speed" PTO mode, which is driven off the output shaft of the transmission and therefore varies its speed based on how fast the rear wheels are turning. BTW....mine is a gas model. Still learning a lot about this thing. As I'm having to rebuild the engine, I suspect I'll learn as I go. Thanks again.

/ Ford 681 Select-O-Speed Questions #4  
Send a message to soundguy if he doesn't answer first. He's the go-to guy on these things and is very knowlegable..

/ Ford 681 Select-O-Speed Questions #5  
Ground speed PTO? That opens up the possibility of a driving axle under a trailer. It might make a great hauler for extreme mud, or extreme grades.

I didn't know any US tractors had this.

/ Ford 681 Select-O-Speed Questions #6  
yum.. an sos.. I need to get a rowcrop sos one day.

sounds like good answers already..