clearing trails through brush

/ clearing trails through brush #1  

cajun in texas

Tractor
mahindra 5525
hello everyone im new to here and to tractors. my neighbor loaned me his mahindra 5525.i have 11.5 acres that i want to cut paths for my truck and my mini buggy go kart.the brush is still small so i can easily cut it with the 6ft shredder.mostly huisache and blackbrush sapplings. the problem is the little tire puncturing spikes that will be left behind. whats the best implement for getting rid of those things. preferably id like to strictly use the tractor as i have a very bad back. any advice it appreciated. thank you.

/ clearing trails through brush #2  
Welcome. Does the tractor have a front end loader? A FEL can be used to uproot a lot of brush. This works best with a grapple. Even without a grapple you can place the bucket a couple of inches off the ground and go forward slowly. This will uproot some brush and small samplings. You can also use bucket to scrape down a couple of inches in the ground to uproot brush but this can create erosion issues.

/ clearing trails through brush
Yes there is a front end loader. I will try this. Thanks for the response!

/ clearing trails through brush #4  
If the blades are good and dull, the stubble will be feathered and frayed if cut down to 1-2 inches and not sharp enough to puncture healthy tires.

/ clearing trails through brush #5  
It's time consuming, but buck12 gave good advice...........Use the FEL to dig small saplings out by the roots. That's what I do also.

/ clearing trails through brush #6  
If the blades are good and dull, the stubble will be feathered and frayed if cut down to 1-2 inches and not sharp enough to puncture healthy tires.
Borrowed tractor..........ain't worth the risk

/ clearing trails through brush
I open to renting implements. Also, will time weather the spikes down? Say maybe in a year they will be deteriorated enough to drive over?

/ clearing trails through brush #9  
When I do this and I do it every year, I cut very low and my cutter shatters rather than "cuts", so there really aren't any punji sticks to puncture tires. My suggestion is to cut very low, look at the results and go from there. In the past I have simply dropped the rippers on a box blade and gone over it or just walked around with an ax to cut out the occasional one that appeared dangerous to my tires.

Yes, they will weather with time, at least what we have in Missouri, not familiar with what you have down there.

/ clearing trails through brush #10  
I am not familiar with the plants you mentioned. Are you trying to leave the trail grassy or turn it black? I bought a Rachet Rake this summer and love it. It would make your FEL much more prepared to do exactly what you want. I pulled out a gob of prickly ash and honeysuckle this summer all with my little BX. Awesome tool.

Ratchet Rake, LLC - Rip and Dig, Tractor attachment, Bucket attachment, Loader, Skid loader, Kubota, Skid steer, Landscape rake, Brush remover, York Rake, Harley Rake, Rock Rake, Tractor rake attachment, Construction attachment, New Holland, Bobcat,

Oh, and :welcome: to TBN!