Mowing Finish Mower leaves uncut grass when turning

/ Finish Mower leaves uncut grass when turning #1  

rchatel

Is it normal to leave a small line of uncut grass when turning with a 6' finish mower due to maybe blade gap of the rear and forward blades? This is a FarmPro 72" Finish Mower with 3 blades.

/ Finish Mower leaves uncut grass when turning #2  
Mine (a Frontier/Deere badged Woods) doesn't...does help it you make wide turns though.

/ Finish Mower leaves uncut grass when turning
Thanks, Yes it does seem to be worse with sharper turns.

/ Finish Mower leaves uncut grass when turning #4  
You are turning to fast. The mower is covering more ground than the tractor, a wider arc. You can take a narrower turn and also stop the problem but you'll have to cut the remanants on a subsequent pass.

/ Finish Mower leaves uncut grass when turning #5  
Its because the centre blade is set forward of the other 2. This is so the 3 cutting paths will overlap (without the blades hitting) when its mowing in a straight line. When you turn left (for example) you no longer have overlapping of the centre and left blades, whilst at the same time the overlap between the centre and right blade increases. Hence you wind up with a line of uncut grass. If you draw 3 circles on a page to represent the blades you'll get a picture of what I'm talking about.

Anyway, theres nothing you can really do about the geometry of it other than minimizing your turning circle. However it may help if you increase mower speed to make sure every blade of grass does actually get cut rather than just pushed over.

/ Finish Mower leaves uncut grass when turning #6  
of the centre and left blades, whilst at the same time the overlap between the centre and right blade increases. Hence you wind up with a line of uncut grass.

Whilst..... I don't believe Mr. Webster covered this word or the meaning. Care to elaborate ?????

/ Finish Mower leaves uncut grass when turning #7  
   / Finish Mower leaves uncut grass when turning #8  
Isn't a thesaurus just a wonderful addition to a desk top ? Festus Hagen on Gunsmoke uses " whilst " alot and it appears he was far ahead of his time. You might have to use smaller words as some of us don't have that firm grip on the dictionary. I do understand overlap and turning so I will not have to create circles for the visual. You have been most helpful, and thanks for the english lesson.

/ Finish Mower leaves uncut grass when turning #9  
Festus Hagen on Gunsmoke uses " whilst " alot and it appears he was far ahead of his time. You might have to use smaller words as some of us don't have that firm grip on the dictionary. I do understand overlap and turning so I will not have to create circles for the visual. You have been most helpful, and thanks for the english lesson.

"Whilst" had more common usage in the British Empire then in the US. Rarely heard folks in the US use it, but not too uncommon in the UK. Even in the UK, it seems to be a bit on the old fashioned side.

/ Finish Mower leaves uncut grass when turning
Thanks to all who replied; I understand the geometry better now, and will do the wider turns. Thanks again for all the help.