Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Finish Mower leaves uncut grass when turning

Is it normal to leave a small line of uncut grass when turning with a 6' finish mower due to maybe blade gap of the rear and forward blades? This is a FarmPro 72" Finish Mower with 3 blades.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Default Re: Finish Mower leaves uncut grass when turning

Mine (a Frontier/deere badged Woods) doesn't...does help it you make wide turns though.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Thanks, Yes it does seem to be worse with sharper turns.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader

You are turning to fast. The mower is covering more ground than the tractor, a wider arc. You can take a narrower turn and also stop the problem but you'll have to cut the remanants on a subsequent pass.
    Gear Up and Throttle Down.

2011 Massey 2615, 7ft Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower, 6 ft Lucknow Snow Blower, Danuser post hole digger with 12" and 24" augers, 350 lb 3 pt broadcast spreader, 7ft scraper blade, 7 ft. drag harrow, JD GT 275 rider with 38" snow blower attachment.

Tractor
    Kubota B1550HSD

Its because the centre blade is set forward of the other 2. This is so the 3 cutting paths will overlap (without the blades hitting) when its mowing in a straight line. When you turn left (for example) you no longer have overlapping of the centre and left blades, whilst at the same time the overlap between the centre and right blade increases. Hence you wind up with a line of uncut grass. If you draw 3 circles on a page to represent the blades you'll get a picture of what I'm talking about.

Anyway, theres nothing you can really do about the geometry of it other than minimizing your turning circle. However it may help if you increase mower speed to make sure every blade of grass does actually get cut rather than just pushed over.

TIME IS RUTHLESS.

Platinum Member

[QUOTE=alchemysa;3025452] of the centre and left blades, whilst at the same time the overlap between the centre and right blade increases. Hence you wind up with a line of uncut grass.

Whilst..... I don't believe Mr. Webster covered this word or the meaning. Care to elaborate ?????

Tractor
    Kubota B1550HSD

[QUOTE=Agent Blue;3026122]
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemysa View Post
    of the centre and left blades, whilst at the same time the overlap between the centre and right blade increases. Hence you wind up with a line of uncut grass.

Whilst..... I don't believe Mr. Webster covered this word or the meaning. Care to elaborate ?????
    It means 'at the same time' so I am guilty of a tautology. You can look that up.

Whilst | Easy to understand definition of whilst by Your Dictionary

TIME IS RUTHLESS.

Platinum Member

Isn't a thesaurus just a wonderful addition to a desk top ? Festus Hagen on Gunsmoke uses " whilst " alot and it appears he was far ahead of his time. You might have to use smaller words as some of us don't have that firm grip on the dictionary. I do understand overlap and turning so I will not have to create circles for the visual. You have been most helpful, and thanks for the english lesson.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Blue View Post
    Festus Hagen on Gunsmoke uses " whilst " alot and it appears he was far ahead of his time. You might have to use smaller words as some of us don't have that firm grip on the dictionary. I do understand overlap and turning so I will not have to create circles for the visual. You have been most helpful, and thanks for the english lesson.
    "Whilst" had more common usage in the British Empire then in the US. Rarely heard folks in the US use it, but not too uncommon in the UK. Even in the UK, it seems to be a bit on the old fashioned side.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Thanks to all who replied; I understand the geometry better now, and will do the wider turns. Thanks again for all the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast