john deere 6400 wont start. Any Ideas?

/ john deere 6400 wont start. Any Ideas? #1  

drrelaxx

Tractor
kubota b1700HST
greetings bynet:
Son has 6400 JD. Battery good. ground is good. No power coming from battery. Any Ideas? What have you experienced with similiar issue?

/ john deere 6400 wont start. Any Ideas? #2  
Had a battery that tested good with volt meter. Eventually found a broken terminal on battery that prevented full amps. Try a jumper cable from battery terminal to starter terminal. If it cranks then the wiring from battery to starter is bad.

/ john deere 6400 wont start. Any Ideas? #3  
have you checked your altanator.if not then check it.if its bad then the tractor wont crank.

/ john deere 6400 wont start. Any Ideas?
thanks hosepuller. I will let the boy know. I sincerely appreciate your advice. any likelihood the switch in the cab is bad. key seemed a bit loose.

/ john deere 6400 wont start. Any Ideas?
Thank you bigbull. I will have him check it. What is an easy way to check alternator in the field?

/ john deere 6400 wont start. Any Ideas? #6  
thanks hosepuller. I will let the boy know. I sincerely appreciate your advice. any likelihood the switch in the cab is bad. key seemed a bit loose.
Can always be something we didn't think of... Try jumping the starter solenoid, first. Make sure the tractor is out of gear... This will test the starter and cables. If it cranks, then the control circuit is at fault.

/ john deere 6400 wont start. Any Ideas? #7  
have you checked your altanator.if not then check it.if its bad then the tractor wont crank.

Alternator won't keep it from starting. Bad alternator would cause battery not to charge therefore a no start condition. To the OP...to check the alternator get the tractor running and look for 14 to 14.5 volts at the positive alternator terminal or at the positive battery terminal.

/ john deere 6400 wont start. Any Ideas? #8  
hosspuller said:
Can always be something we didn't think of... Try jumping the starter solenoid, first. Make sure the tractor is out of gear... This will test the starter and cables. If it cranks, then the control circuit is at fault.

If you can get me a link to a diagram or scan and e-mail to Ron@opfa.com I can give you some more specific recommendations.

Do you get a click or anything from the starter or the fuel solenoid?

As far as jumping the starter solenoid, there is usually a relay that switches current to the solenoid (which is a bigger relay) if you can trip that small relay which will take a small current, that might be safer. Alternatively you might be able to pull the relay and jumper to the line feeding the starter solenoid.

If the start logic / delay model is damaged that could account for not starting. so could a damaged starter relay.
Seat down switch ?
PTO engaged?

Good luck
RoN