Loader Clamp on Forks

/ Clamp on Forks #1  

ruralruss

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
Has anybody tried the Northern Tool 1200 lbs clamp on forks? If so what do you think of them? Are they worth the $299 price?

/ Clamp on Forks #2  
Has anybody tried the Northern Tool 1200 lbs clamp on forks? If so what do you think of them? Are they worth the $299 price?

I bought some on ebay for $149.00 ...I looked at the ones at Northern but did not want to spend that after seeing mine of ebay....they are great...Check ebay, they should still be there, as I recall there were several mfgs. offering clamp on forks on ebay..

/ Clamp on Forks #4  
I bought a $179.99 set from Yankeewarehouse.com that are listed with a rating of 2500lb. (I have lifted 4-5: 16' foot (12" diameter) pine logs with them and can lift the front end of my JD 5075E up with no problem. Their vertical brackets that fit 2" "x 4" anti-rollback boards are nice. They look identical to Northern Tools They work well. I first used them to load 16' pine logs on/off a wagon. In the woods, where I'd hit stumps/rocks etc, the quick connect screw is a plus and a minus. That is, if you hit something that puts sideway laterall forces on them, the fork(s) will go un-parrallel (which means I have to get off, realign and re-tighten, but this is better than busting something). I did buy a $79 fork stabilizer bar from IAM/USA Forks that cross-connects the forks that keeps them more parrallel (then I started using a winch in the woods, so now I only use the forks to stack the logs at the header pile and they stay true.) Between using the stabilizer bar and the fork's screw/bolt making indentations in the bucket the forks are pretty locked on against sideways movement. Which means now if I hit something big & sideways with the fork's bolt in the bucket indentations I'll end up bending the bolt and have to get a big "helper" to undo the bolt so that I can bang the bolt (without damaging the threads) back to semi-straight. - it's best not to do that and know what's under the object your lifting. :)

/ Clamp on Forks #5  
I would buy a set of real forks, the type that are quick atach skid loader mount, or build your own. Adding forks to the bucket, limits lift capacity, by moving load out front. Also they do not stay in place, clamps work loose, forks turn sideways and end up falling off. I borowed my neighbors, I am glad I did not buy any. I bent one twice had to use a press to straighten and broke a clamp bolt. It had been bent and straightened before, he also has a set for a Bobcat, but not the universal mount.:( I am now building my own set with a skid steer quikatach and also Westendorf loader quickatach mounts. I will start a thread when I can figure out how to post pics.

Dave

/ Clamp on Forks #6  
If you have the tools to make forks it can be cheaper and rewarding.

Two of the photos show attachment clamps welded to old forklift forks.

View attachment 283787View attachment 283788View attachment 283789View attachment 283790View attachment 283792View attachment 283791

Nice looking forks. What material did you use for your forks? I have a 10 foot length of 2" x 3" x 1/4" wall tubing and was thinking using it for a pair of bucket forks. Anyone know the strength of my tubing?

/ Clamp on Forks #7  
I made mine out of some 3/16" wall 2x3" box tubing. I have about $50 in them. They clamp on and work great.

Chris

/ Clamp on Forks #8  
Got these clamps on ebay at Gregs Groundworks. Very strong, lifted my backhoe off my truck with them.

Attachments

• IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    739.6 KB · Views: 301
   / Clamp on Forks #9  
I have them and they work great!! Mine were actually made by Paynesforks- not sure who they source them from now.

Occasionally, they offer them for $279- that's when I bought mine.

/ Clamp on Forks #10  
I would buy a set of real forks, the type that are quick atach skid loader mount, or build your own. Adding forks to the bucket, limits lift capacity, by moving load out front. Also they do not stay in place, clamps work loose, forks turn sideways and end up falling off. I borowed my neighbors, I am glad I did not buy any. I bent one twice had to use a press to straighten and broke a clamp bolt. It had been bent and straightened before, he also has a set for a Bobcat, but not the universal mount.:( I am now building my own set with a skid steer quikatach and also Westendorf loader quickatach mounts. I will start a thread when I can figure out how to post pics.

Dave

Of course it all depends on what you'll be using them for and your budget, but overall I agree with the above statement. I started out with Payne's. Hated them and wound up spending the extra $$ on a SSQA and dedicated forks. Happy I did so and will never look back.