Oil & Fuel JD 1026R starts but idles extremely rough

/ JD 1026R starts but idles extremely rough #1  

tstellanova

My 1026R overheated today-- the grill clogged with fluffy grass seeds, and the automatic PTO shutoff kicked in along with the "engine overheat" message on the LCD display.

I followed the JD manual instructions, set the throttle to low idle and allowed the engine to cool down before shutting it off. Left the machine off for a couple hours and cleaned the grille and internal screen. Since it was low on fuel, I filled up with fresh diesel.

Now when I try to start it up, it starts pretty well but then quickly starts to idle extremely rough -- feels like the engine is going to jump out of the machine!

Any thoughts on what might cause this? I looked at the fuel filter -- looks ok, and the red indicator is not elevated. Checked the oil level-- looks good. Anything else simple I can check?

/ JD 1026R starts but idles extremely rough #2  
My 1026R overheated today-- the grill clogged with fluffy grass seeds, and the automatic PTO shutoff kicked in along with the "engine overheat" message on the LCD display.

I followed the JD manual instructions, set the throttle to low idle and allowed the engine to cool down before shutting it off. Left the machine off for a couple hours and cleaned the grille and internal screen. Since it was low on fuel, I filled up with fresh diesel.

Now when I try to start it up, it starts pretty well but then quickly starts to idle extremely rough -- feels like the engine is going to jump out of the machine!

Any thoughts on what might cause this? I looked at the fuel filter -- looks ok, and the red indicator is not elevated. Checked the oil level-- looks good. Anything else simple I can check?

didnt see it mentioned in your post but did you check the air filter as well?

/ JD 1026R starts but idles extremely rough
Yep the air filter is a little grimy but doesn't seem too bad. Also tried starting once with the filter removed...same result.

/ JD 1026R starts but idles extremely rough #4  
Outside of calling " 50 " no idea what could be the problem. With so many machines using computers I would not doubt it would have to be reset by a scan tool to restore a program. I am sure the dealer could fill you in on this. Looks like you have checked all the simple solutions. Good luck. New machine should be under warranty so no problem there.

/ JD 1026R starts but idles extremely rough #5  
Check and besure that the diesel return line isn't pinched under the foot platform. I know that sounds silly, but at about 220 hrs. my 1026r started doing what you are talking about and that was where the problem was.

/ JD 1026R starts but idles extremely rough #6  
Something else to check, your fuel system may be sucking in just a little air. Make sure fuel filter is tight and if you have a bleeder valve that it is completely closed. Doesn't take much air bubbling in to make them run rough or to even kill it.