Rotten Egg Smell

/ Rotten Egg Smell #1  

NHmitch

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bolens G154/IsekiTX1300F
I filled my tractor about two weeks ago, and I just drove it yesterday for the first time since I filled it, and the exhaust smells like rotten eggs. It has never smelled like this before, and I bought my diesel from the same station that I always have. The only new thing that I did, was an oil change, but I have never had that smell before, and I keep up on my oil changes. Is it possible that the diesel just had a high sulfer content causing the smell?

/ Rotten Egg Smell #3  
Good info Creek. Due to drought this summer, little mowing was done. Thus I'm using diesel fuel purchased last May with another 5 gallon to use up. I always add Power Service to every 5 gallon jug. Maybe the rotten egg smell or contamination won't occur. But I'll be watching for it however.

/ Rotten Egg Smell #4  
I would put a biocide in the tank and any extra fuel you have if you are going to use it quickly. Otherwise I wouldn't try to save $50 in fuel and take a chance on expensive fuel system repairs.

/ Rotten Egg Smell #5  
Sulfur has a rotten egg smell to it, so maybe that fuel has a higher sulfur content?

/ Rotten Egg Smell #6  
Mitch,

I am in SE NH on the coast and get fuel at Irving North Hampton - just filled my tank last weekend - no issue. As Jenkins said get a biocide treatment for your fuel. I had an 87 Mercedes 300D 6Cyl non turboand had to treat the fuel with Techron to prevent the buildup of algae but once treated it was fine.

Algae creates water and can cause the sulfer smell - you might have a bad batch of fuel but maybe you have algae - also how often and how long do you run your Bolens? For example this was a slow summer here and didnt use mine much, only filled once this summer and again last weekend but no sulfer smell.

It seems like you suspect the fuel tho, so I would siphon it out and try some new diesel from another station.

Carl

/ Rotten Egg Smell #7  
It might be algae in the fuel that is there with some water. As the fuel tanks "breathe" because of temperature changes overnight, they constantly bring in humidity that condenses into moisture and settles to the bottom of the tank. This is very common. Then a black slime develops. This is algae.

Run the engine, watch the water separator and expect to change the filters. Add biocide to kill the algae.

No need to drain the fuel unless it has been sitting for many years and has a large puddle in the tank. Or, you can "polish" the fuel by pumping it through a filter and returning it to the tank. This is commonly done with boats.

Moisture in the fuel tank is a common problem with boats and the main thing that happens is clogged fuel filters while underway. I've had algae in my boat tanks and simply treated it with biocide and ran it through. Simply draining the tank does nothing for you as the algae stays behind.

/ Rotten Egg Smell #8  
Are you sure it's coming from the exhaust?

/ Rotten Egg Smell #9  
Could be the oil. I got some shell "mo-smella" oil that produced some of the worst stink. I re-changed the oil & filter after only 1000 miles and the stank went away.

/ Rotten Egg Smell
Thank you guys so much for the help! I was unsure what it could be, because I checked the filter, and the tank, and it appeared to be clean from what I could see, and I have been putting treatment in it every time I fill my gas can. I did just do the oil change with Rotella recently, but wouldn't that stay sealed in the lubrication system? The only other culprit that it could be is my battery. I keep it on a trickle charge, and it does smell like rotten eggs a bit, and I may be overcharging it? but I am not sure why that would transfer to the exhaust, unless the smell is being blown out with the exhaust. I am going to check the sulfer amount at the pump, today, before I run it. Carl, I bought the fuel at a mobile station, but I should have gone to Irving, because they are less expensive, and probably the same gas. I normally use my tractor every day, or several times a week, but it has sat the last week without being driven, but it does stay parked indoors out of the weather, however we have been getting freezing temps at night. Well, thanks again for all of the help, and I need to check my gas a bit more..