Should I add Seafoam to Sta-Bil for winter fuel preservative?

/ Should I add Seafoam to Sta-Bil for winter fuel preservative? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
It seems the best way to get my small engines to run right in the spring is to leave a little fuel in them over the winter but maybe add some Sta-Bil or Seafoam as a preservative. How about adding both? Would that help? Anyone do this?

/ Should I add Seafoam to Sta-Bil for winter fuel preservative? #2  
I have never used both stabil or seafoam i have not had any carb or engine problems and all i use is stabil in the fall when mower is stored for winter sounds like over kill but what does the seafoam do that the stabil does not do

/ Should I add Seafoam to Sta-Bil for winter fuel preservative? #3  
Both additives have good reputations, I use StaBil. Never heard any recommendations (from anyone) to use both together, might be better, might be worse than nothing.
As far as leaving "a little " fuel in the tank, it is far better to leave them brim full to eliminate condensation in the tank.

/ Should I add Seafoam to Sta-Bil for winter fuel preservative? #4  
I don't know for sure and it is just opinion, but I heard Stabil in the fall run through the system a little bit, and then in the spring add Seafoam. That is supposed to eat any varnish away.

/ Should I add Seafoam to Sta-Bil for winter fuel preservative? #5  
Ditto above. I store small engines with full tanks of fresh gas with Stabil. I run them till hot to circulate the fresh fuel. My small engines are stored outside in unheated sheds or simply under tarps...e.g. push mowers, sprayers, rototiller etc. They start right up the next season. Cheers, Mike Haven't used the Seafoam however.

/ Should I add Seafoam to Sta-Bil for winter fuel preservative? #6  
I agree with running the Stabil and a full tank thru the winter and if needed add the seafoam in the spring when I get the mower down to a 1/4 tank. I don't see any advantage to putting the seafoam in 5 months in advance. I am winterizing most of my gassers this weekend.

/ Should I add Seafoam to Sta-Bil for winter fuel preservative? #7  
I use Sta-Bil with a full tank of gas in my riding mower, weedeater, brushcutter, and both chainsaws. I have never used Seafoam.

/ Should I add Seafoam to Sta-Bil for winter fuel preservative? #8  
Every single time I buy gas in a can for small engines, I get non-alcohol premium and add a double dose of Stabil.

Even if I "know" I am going to use the engine again in a week or so, plans change, and this method has saved my donkey more times than I can think of. Keeping the tank full is good, but keeping Stabil in the gas is the most important step.

Always put the Stabil in the can before pumping the gas in. This mixes it inside the can with no further effort required.

/ Should I add Seafoam to Sta-Bil for winter fuel preservative? #9  
I've been using K100 the last couple of years. In everything from mowers, a couple of Harleys, weed eaters, chainsaws and a Mustang that sit unused all winter. Everything starts up in spring with no ethanol breakdown issues. It now goes into the 5 gallon cans on every fill up.
With diesel, I use Power Service year round. In my bucket truck that sits all winter, I also add 911 just to be sure the fuel doesn't gel along with some algae preventative.

Last edited:
   / Should I add Seafoam to Sta-Bil for winter fuel preservative? #10  
I dose my 5 gallon gas cans with Marine Formula Stabil every time I fill them. I started that habit when running a snowmobile. We can't even get non-alcohol gas here. Some of the snowmobile forums I read a few years ago recommended the Marine Formula Stabil as a way of dealing with the alcohol. Also, it was much more economical than some of the miracle additives that were much bally-hooed.

By dosing all of my small engine gas, all of my small engines are protected, all the time. I have not had a starting or running problem with any of my small engines since I have been doing this. It works for me!:dance1:

In my younger days, I burnt the pistons out of a couple of old snowmobiles. This was just from normal use, not racing or anything. This was about the time we were starting to get alcohol added to the gas. I'll bet that, if I had been using the Marine Formula Stabil then, those engines would have lasted much longer.

By the way - I would strongly advise not mixing Stabil and Seafoam. These are quite different additives, with different purposes. The combination might not work well. Why risk might even cause damage by using a chemical cocktail that neither manufacturer intended? Use one at a time!