Traction John Deere 4300

/ John Deere 4300 #1  

bayfield

Tractor
john deere 4200
I have a John Deere 4300 with the selectashift tranny. My right rear tire slips when a load is put on it(going up hill) when in two wheel drive
I'm wondering what is happening and what is the fix?

/ John Deere 4300 #2  
Nothing unusual about that. That's why you have a differential lock. If you're not familar with the differential lock, read your manual and learn how to use it.

Welcome to TBN!!!

/ John Deere 4300
Yes, I know about the differential lock, but there is a metal on metal noise coming from that rear axle, and when I push down the differential lock it does work, but it seems like there is some resistance in the drive train

/ John Deere 4300 #4  
Yes, I know about the differential lock, but there is a metal on metal noise coming from that rear axle, and when I push down the differential lock it does work, but it seems like there is some resistance in the drive train

Metal on metal when you engage the diff lock? Try it with the RPM lowered a bit. If the noise is continuous...well, it shouldn't be.
As far as "resistance", the rear axles will be locked, hence no slippage. The "feel" of a locked differential is different then an unlocked differential, but it's hard to describe. You don't want to be making turns...or make them gradual at most.
By the way, do you use MFWD going up that hill?

/ John Deere 4300
No, not when I engage the lock, but just going up a hill. I understand the feel of a locked vs unlocked diff. I usually use the 4wd up hills, but I've noticed this just starting.

/ John Deere 4300 #6  
No, not when I engage the lock, but just going up a hill. I understand the feel of a locked vs unlocked diff. I usually use the 4wd up hills, but I've noticed this just starting.

How many hours on your 4300?
If you're hearing new noises, especially metal to metal...might be something to investigate. I think a hydraulic fluid and filter change many be justified...and don't forget the suction screen.