Warm up time

/ Warm up time #21  
it was 45 outside a few mornings ago.. what's your point.

at running temps.. the engine is gonna be warming up to alot waremr than air temps.. pretty quick.

the differenct in 10-20' outside is nominal vs heated engine oil temps.

no way i'm gonna hop on my machine.. start it up. yank the throttle wide open and scream out to work.. just because I live in florida. :( :(

/ Warm up time #22  
Soundguy, I think you took it the way I was trying to avoid. :(

I was curious about your practices in a much warmer setting. Turns out, at the moment at least, it wasn't warmer anyway.
And no, I wasn't suggesting you start it and tear off full throttle, full load. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

/ Warm up time #23  
i think any enigne is going to benefit from a small warm up and cool down period so that at least the oil comes up to it's operating temp.. or close.

remember.. oil viscosities are rated in a multi vis range.. and that range really don't take effect till the oil is around those temps.. an it's alot warmer than ambient. probably mor elike 200' etc..

no offense taken by the way. just my normal 'charming' mood showing thru ;)

/ Warm up time #24  
I learned a long time ago that some warm up is required. When I was younger my dad always told me that I needed to allow the engine on the tractors to warm up before using, he never gave me a spicific time limit but he warned that warm up was required. When I helped dad with the rebuild on the farm tractor, (it was my first time) after we were completely done he tightened the rocker arm nuts as stated in the book and started the tractor. He was at the work bench and I called him over and told him that the oil pump must be bad there wasn't any oil comming up as he had discribed to me during the rebuild process, and he said wait a little while, and sure enough the oil started to flow and then started flowing so much it was splashing me. Dad shut off the engine and as he was putting the valve cover on he said see that is one reason you need to let a engine warm up before you start to use it, if there is no oil there is no lubrication.
Then after the engine had run for a while with the cover on and it got warm he shut the tractor off removed the valve cover again and torked the valves and I noticed at that time just how much oil there really was in the valve train area. I was real young back then so this stuck in my memory! I really miss these times with dad he wasn't the smartest man in the world, but he sure did teach me a lot sometimes I didn't even realize that he had till manyl years later.

/ Warm up time #25  
nice memory about your Dad. I grumbled earlier about a lack of a real temp gauge, and the same applies for oil pressure. My older Case IH has a real oil pressure gauge, but my new Kubota doesn't. Doesn't seem like progress to me...
Since my engine is turboed, could anyone suggest a reasonable period of time for "cool down"? I think like most I idle or close to it into the garage/barn, and then I let it sit for about 30 seconds at idle. There seem to be a total of six bars on the idiot temp gauge and so far I've never gotten over four. I don't know what rpm the turbo kicks in, but I'm guessing that at idle it's just spinning down to stop. My understanding is that one doesn't want to fry the oil sitting in the turbo when it stops, but how long is reasonable? I'm doing loader work and not working the machine very hard, and usually not over 2000 rpm.

/ Warm up time #26  
Can't help there don't have anything that is turbo. That is by design don't want anything I can't fix by myself, heck it took a long time to talk myself into buying a diesel because I have never had one. Love the diesel but i'm still scared it will break!:thumbdown:

/ Warm up time #27  
Since my engine is turboed, could anyone suggest a reasonable period of time for "cool down"? I think like most I idle or close to it into the garage/barn, and then I let it sit for about 30 seconds at idle. There seem to be a total of six bars on the idiot temp gauge and so far I've never gotten over four. I don't know what rpm the turbo kicks in, but I'm guessing that at idle it's just spinning down to stop. My understanding is that one doesn't want to fry the oil sitting in the turbo when it stops, but how long is reasonable? I'm doing loader work and not working the machine very hard, and usua
The cool down time your using now is fine for a turbo.
Just keep doing what your doing.

/ Warm up time #28  
on my NH7610s, there is a tag on it from the factory that says to allow 5m warm up and 1 minute cool down after full throttle operations.. it has a turbo... etc..

/ Warm up time #29  
Letting a heavy diesel engine try to warm up sitting with no load is a huge waste of your time, fuel, and emits a lot of nastier emissions. The engine shouldn't be run right to rated power when cold, sure, but you can certainly drive around basically right away after starting. Emissions are much worse before the engine warms up. It's in our collective interest as a society to get our engines warmed up as quickly as possible.

I typically just start mine, do the walk around to check for leaks or missing clips/pins, etc, then get right to work. Maybe 30 seconds of idling and we're off.

These engines are all dyno-proven with cold start tests. A sub-zero-chilled engine is run straight to rated power - if it fails, figure out why, fix it, and try again. No commercial engine is released without passing some variation of this test. I work in the auto industry testing engines, and we do this all the time. These suckers can take some abuse, so there is just no need to baby them.

/ Warm up time #30  
I've never seen an emergency diesel generator that has a "warm up" time. They go from 0 to full load in less than 10 seconds. Doesn't seem to hurt them a bit. Now as far as tractor hydraulics, they might need a warm up.