Front end weights

/ Front end weights #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Photos of Front end weights

For years I had front end weights but rarely used them except for a difficult job. This summer, however, I bought a Kubota MX5100 with front weights and it makes a remarkable difference in stability and handling. If it's too soggy in the spring I can just take them off. Using a 1200 lb 3PT seeder this summer the task went from very difficult to effortless with the addition of the weights on the MX5100. May I highly suggest front end weights for most applications.

Here's some photos. The MX5100 has factory weights as the photos show. They are bolted on but slop around so I ran a threaded rod through to keep things together a little better. Factory weight bracket.

005.JPG006.JPG

The L4300 has some India? NH skid steer weights on a homemade front weight bracket. Weights make a world of difference on this tractor. Not real pretty but they work and are bolted on.

002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG

Last edited:
   / Front end weights #2  
As long as they work, that's all that really matters. I have the FEL on mine, and if that isn't enough weight, I scoop up a load of dirt or rocks for front end weight.

/ Front end weights #3  
sixdogs,
I use a rack of six front weights 420 lbs and six rear wheel weights 660 lbs on my tractor, compact enough to get into tight spots and still have traction.

/ Front end weights #4  
If it works then it is pretty.

Form follows function.

/ Front end weights #5  
I just finished making front weights for my B7510. I plasma-cut them from 1/2" plate steel, then applied some paint to match. Hopefully they'l add some additional stability to the front when lifting a large rock with the backhoe/thumb. (Rear tires are loaded).

8199868137_3cbc540957_z.jpg8200958496_f8019eb912_z.jpg8199865827_e2e64c5e19_z.jpg8199864889_d1cb904bf8_z.jpg8200955662_bae045d719_z.jpg

/ Front end weights
I just finished making front weights for my B7510. I plasma-cut them from 1/2" plate steel, then applied some paint to match. Hopefully they'l add some additional stability to the front when lifting a large rock with the backhoe/thumb. (Rear tires are loaded).

/QUOTE]

Very impressive job and they really look like they "belong". Nice work.
Any photos of the making and cutting of the weights?

/ Front end weights #7  
Very impressive job and they really look like they "belong". Nice work.
Any photos of the making and cutting of the weights?

Thank you. It's not too exciting, but here is a video clip of one of the cuts: ---> Cutting 1/2" Steel Plate with plasma cutter - YouTube
*The video was originally made as a review for my new plasma cutter.

I started with this template (not all of the plates needed the relief cuts, or as long):
8203379028_2c82ebc2ca_z.jpg
..and here is the machine that did most of the work for me.
8202288505_0632963ea7_z.jpg:

/ Front end weights
As an update to this I have learned that fewer than the maximum number of weights gives the "best" all-around performance for around the house functions while the maximum number worked the best for ag use in the fields. Too much weight around the house tended to tear up the grass so the MX5100 that has a limit of 7 weights now gets used with 5 and the five weight L4300 gets used with 3 weights. Come summer in the fields I'll add the balance weight. FYI.

/ Front end weights #9  
they look very nice indeed!