Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660

Default Re: JD 750 tractor clicks, tries to turn, won't start

I would also go for the solenoid, the contact disk in the solenoid turns a little each time it's used. Bad spot on the disk, some of them can be taken apart and cleaned.

Tractor
    Branson 4020

Quote Originally Posted by Dennisfly View Post
    I'm not intimately familiar with your tractor, but it sounds like it could be a bad solenoid. There is a small wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid and a large wire that goes from the battery to the solenoid. If the solenoid is mounted on the starter, there will be an internal conductor that powers the starter. If it is not mounted on the starter, then there will be another large cable that runs from the solenoid to the starter. The solenoid and all of the associated connections at the cable/wire connections are suspect. Old, well used, solenoids have contactors that can wear and develop high resistance which can cause the symptoms you describe. You could put a jumper cable directly from the positive battery cable to the starter power terminal, with the ignition switch on and see if the starter motor spins. If it does, then it is the starter solenoid or one of the connections in the solenoid circuit.
    New member here, sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I'm having a similar problem.

I have a Branson with a starter mounted solenoid that would only click once when I turned the key. The diesel pump clicks and the lights and everything work, battery tested good. I took off the starter and had it refurbished, brought it back and put it on only to have it do the same thing. The guys at the electric shop said it had a bad solenoid, but I'm not sure what the issue is now.

I did as you said, ran a jumper from the hot side to the power terminal and she started right up and ran all day just fine. Not sure where to go from here other than maybe the neutral safety switch or a bad connection?

Tractor
    JD 750

Thanks to everyone for this JD 750 "Won't start" thread.

After reading all the suggestions and beating my starter, tracing each wire and taking meter readings at each point; out of exhaustion and despair, 4 hours later I sat down in the drivers seat, only to discover that the PTO was engaged.

At 8pm, it started up immediately with a ferocious roar (one might say, in anger), once I disengaged the PTO! I had trouble discerning which emotion was stronger; embarrassment or jubilation. I was tempted to mow by the light of the moon, seated there in my underwear thanking God. Thankfully exhaustion and apathy did not allow for such an unsightly nocturnal display.
    Last edited by BeamBouncer; 09-04-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660

"Oh What a Relief It Is" I bet you sat there for awhile and talked to youself!!!!!

Tractor
    JD 750

Yes Sir...

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

You got her running, that's the main thing!
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Tractor
    JD 750

Indeed. I have been so appreciative each time she starts now.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Quote Originally Posted by BeamBouncer View Post
    Indeed. I have been so appreciative each time she starts now.
    It is most unfortunate that I did not see this thread until this point. As I had a 750 until recently, this would have been my first suggestion to the point of "please look to see your pto lever is not engaged". This had happened 3 times to me in the 28 years I had the tractor and each time after the first, I was puzzled until I remembered the first time. PM me if you have any other puzzling moments with the beloved 750.

Tractor
    JD 750

Much Thanks Arrow !

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 650 (sold) Kubota L45

My 650- had developed a condition where some hose was slightly pressing down on the PTO lever. Enough so that it was not enough to simply not have it in PTO mode, but I actively pull up on the lever when starting.

I'd debated for quite some time about fixing this, as the fix would be to simply re-route a hose; But since my tractor is sometime left by itself for quite some time, I thought that this was a sort-of secret kill switch, to prevent someone from driving off with it. And at least once, I'd left the keys in the ignition when I left.

Glad the fix was quick and painless

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast