JD 750 tractor clicks, tries to turn, won't start

/ JD 750 tractor clicks, tries to turn, won't start #1  

stamello

Tractor
none
I bought this tractor in the spring and it started and ran fine.
A couple of months ago it started spraying coolant so I had the water pump replaced. No more fluid.
Now it doesn't always start. Sometimes it starts up fine - I just turn the key and away it goes.
But sometimes it's totally dead. I turn the key, get one click, and then nothing. After that -
- Sometimes I just wait for awhile and try again, and then it starts right up.
- Sometimes I try jumping it off my truck battery. At that point, it starts clicking like crazy and the engine moves and slowly seems to try to turn over, but doesn't "catch".
- Sometimes I try banging on the starter with a hammer, and once in awhile it starts. But not always.
I had the battery checked at autozone, and they say it's fine. But it's weird that I get no clicks with the tractor battery, but clicks and movement with the truck battery... right?
Any ideas? I'm a newbie, so maybe I'm just overlooking something obvious.

/ JD 750 tractor clicks, tries to turn, won't start #2  
Check out both ends of each battery cable, especially the ground wire. On my 1070, the ground was 'solid' but not conductive. I knew something was amiss when a starter charger would not crank it unless you attached ground to the block.

/ JD 750 tractor clicks, tries to turn, won't start #3  
Any ideas? I'm a newbie, so maybe I'm just overlooking something obvious.

I think you definitely need a new battery. That is more than likely your problem, although your starter might be on the way out. I'd put in a new battery before doing anything else. Also, make sure that the battery terminals are clean and tight. Diesels require an enormous amount of current to start - a battery that is fine for a car won't necessarily turn over a diesel.

JayC

/ JD 750 tractor clicks, tries to turn, won't start #4  
Had a similar problem with the 750 I used to have. There is a relay for the starter between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid, mine got flakey and finally quit altogether. Not sure where it's physically located...when I put in a new one I put in new wiring from the ignition switch to the solenoid on the starter.

/ JD 750 tractor clicks, tries to turn, won't start
Check out both ends of each battery cable, especially the ground wire. On my 1070, the ground was 'solid' but not conductive. I knew something was amiss when a starter charger would not crank it unless you attached ground to the block.
I cleaned everything, recut the copper and reattached to battery. But still same problem. How do I check if the ground is conductive?

Had a similar problem with the 750 I used to have. There is a relay for the starter between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid, mine got flakey and finally quit altogether. Not sure where it's physically located...when I put in a new one I put in new wiring from the ignition switch to the solenoid on the starter.
Is this it?
John Deere Starting Improvement Relay Kit - AM107421

I think you definitely need a new battery. That is more than likely your problem, although your starter might be on the way out. I'd put in a new battery before doing anything else. Also, make sure that the battery terminals are clean and tight. Diesels require an enormous amount of current to start - a battery that is fine for a car won't necessarily turn over a diesel.

JayC

OK. Would a bad battery make the solenoid click but not turn the starter?

/ JD 750 tractor clicks, tries to turn, won't start #8  
are you sure it is the starter solenoid clicking and not the fuel shut-off solenoid clicking?

/ JD 750 tractor clicks, tries to turn, won't start #10  
are you sure it is the starter solenoid clicking and not the fuel shut-off solenoid clicking?

JD 750's don't have a fuel shutoff solenoid, on that tractor you just simply pull the throttle all the way back to shut off fuel to the engine. I had two JD750's so I should know.

To the OP, try taking a hard rubber mallet and firmly tap the solenoid/starter (since they are in the same housing) while you have the ignition key turned to the crank position. If the motor suddenly cranks up, then you probably need the starter relay improvement kit. I had to put one on the last 750 I had and it made a WORLD of difference. It used to click a lot when turning the key over but after I installed the kit, it never failed to crank after that. I learned about the kit from the local starter/alternator shop after thinking it was the starter. He rebuilt the starter for me, and after it still did it stop it from clicking, he then suggested getting the kit.

There are several threads in here where I have described how it installs, and what it does so I'm not going to repeat it. You can do some searches and you should be able to find them. Good luck!