How do you figure the width of a tractor with "tread width" given?

/ How do you figure the width of a tractor with "tread width" given? #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
Okay, I know the obvious answer to measuring the width of a tractor, is to use a tape measure, but I'm curious how you figure out the width of a tractor you DON'T have access to measuring?

When I look up the specs on different tractors, especially on tractordata.com, it seems like it fairly often gives the "tread width".

I believe the tread width is the distance from the center of one tire, to the center of the other tire. So if the tread width is say, 68", then how do you figure the full width? I imagine it has something to do with half the tire width, but I'm not sure which number in the tire size is the actual width? For instance, I believe I have 19.4X24 tires on my tractor, if my tread width was 68" (I don't know if it is, just an example) then how do I figure the full width?

I'm interested because I like to see what size implements I would need to use to cover the tire tracks at different tread widths for different tractors. (Yes, I have too much time on my hands:laughing:)

-Matt

/ How do you figure the width of a tractor with "tread width" given?
Thanks opti-mist!
So just for confirmation, if I have a "tread width" of 70" and a tire size of 19.5x24 then my overall width would be 70"+19.5"= 89.5"?
So 19.5" is the full width of one tire?

/ How do you figure the width of a tractor with "tread width" given? #4  
That sounds right to me, subject to confirmation with a tape measure.

/ How do you figure the width of a tractor with "tread width" given? #5  
Depends on how critical the overall width is to you. My CUT has 17.5L x 24 R-4 tires. The brand on my tractor is Titan - they say the width is 17.1 inches. My Firestone off highway tire book gives a width of 17.7 inches for the same tire size. The Tire & Rim Association is the worldwide standard and gives the maximum width for each tire size but you need to pay for their yearbook. But overall width is tread width plus one rear tire width plus tire bulge.

/ How do you figure the width of a tractor with "tread width" given? #6  
MHarryH has it correct. I went through the same thought process recently. I live in an area with very steep terrain, and want to maximize the width of the footprint on the ground, so I don稚 tip over sideways on a slop I have to cross. I looked at a half a dozen new tractors that met my other requirements, and measured outside tire dimensions. I was interested in footprint on the ground, and the precision of measurements was about +/- ス inch. I looked at BobcCat TT440. LYM, LS, and Kubota. I had previously looked at John Deere. If you are worried about total width, you have to consider tire bulge. Otherwise, taking published tread width and adding one tire width to it is pretty good. Having said that, beware: I have seen some published figures where 鍍read width was not measured from center of tire to center to tire. Also, some tractors have a camber on the front wheels, so you may have to account for that, depending upon the question you wish to answer.

PMH

/ How do you figure the width of a tractor with "tread width" given?
Thanks for the replies. I was curious how to accurately estimate because im wondering which of my implements I would have to upgrade when I get a larger tractor. At this time I might be okay, the only questionable one would be my 78" box blade. My mower is only 6' but I'd keep that anyways as my heavy duty mower for saplings and woods mowing, then if I ended up with a lot to mow I'd buy a bigger mower as well.

I also have a 6' blade/rake combo but I don't consider that as I'm trying to sell it for a heavy duty dedicated blade and a heavy duty dedicated rake.

Thanks again.
-Matt