How effective is a Box Blade for Snow Removal?

/ How effective is a Box Blade for Snow Removal? #1  

cartod

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4066, 1023
Just curious, as I have never used one on snow. Thanks.

/ How effective is a Box Blade for Snow Removal? #2  
I don't know how good it would be but look at it this way, you can level your driveway and clean the snow all in one operation!

Rob

/ How effective is a Box Blade for Snow Removal? #3  
How about better than nothing? I clear snow with my Loader and all my driveway is concrete. I use the box blade for rear weight and to be able to drag snow away from buildings. Sometimes I push with the loader and drag the BB at the same time to better clean the drive. The box blade usually fills up about the same time as the loader and I have to dump them.

The problem with the box blade, of course is that it won't move the snow out of the way and will just fill up. If this is your only snow tool, you really need a regular back blade you can angle. I plan to add a front plow when I get around to it, and I will still use the box blade with that.

/ How effective is a Box Blade for Snow Removal? #4  
Better than a shovel

/ How effective is a Box Blade for Snow Removal? #5  
Its all we use at our shop and its faster than with my dad in his pickup can do it. You can fill the box up but if you have enough traction you can keep on moving it. Keep in mind all the plow manufaturers that went to v plows for snow containment, thats where the time savings comes into play. If you have to clean up windrows you're wasting time. I should mention commercial plow guys with big lots (think walmart) all have front end loaders with is basically a box blade mounted on the front. The box blade can also plow in reverse and be used in the summertime as well. Probably the most universal attachment I have.

/ How effective is a Box Blade for Snow Removal? #6  
I have a box-blade but never tried on snow.Don't think it would be very effective for me.I have a seven ft.rear blade and a eight ft.front blade.

/ How effective is a Box Blade for Snow Removal? #7  
It will depend on the layout of the area you are cleaning.

In tight quarters I actually prefer a box blade over an angled rear blade on a lightweight tractor that lacks chains. A lightweight tractor often wants to simply get pushed sideways when you try to go slow in tight quarters with an angled blade as you can not go fast enough to let momentum work for yah. A boxblade is heavier which aides traction and blade is always straight so you do not get pushed around as much.

My preferred method for cleaning snow is push when going forward with FEL. Then push snow in reverse with the boxblade when going in reverse. My cleaning pattern is a series of Y-patterns or herringbone patterns to clean the area. I have never went forward to clean snow with boxblade. My method doubles productivity as you are always moving snow whether going forward or backward.

Now if you want to clean a 1/4 long lane or a 1/2 mile long lane then a series a Y-patterns or herring bone patterns would be very inefficient for a long lane. In this case use an angled blade and you can go fast enough to overcome being pushed sideways (usually) since area is more open from obstacles so you can go much faster.

Search the archives here on TBN and see what all one can do with a boxblade with some improvisation. From plowing the garden with the rippers to moving snow. While less than ideal in some cases it can at least do it. A regular rear blade is much more of a 1 trick pony in comparison.

/ How effective is a Box Blade for Snow Removal? #8  
I have a front blower, works well, costs a small fortune but I don't like looking backwards for my 600+ foot driveway. Last year I didn't use the blower and it's not on yet this year. I may leave the FEL on, take off the BH and put a rear blade on just to see how foolish I was to spend the money on a blower!

/ How effective is a Box Blade for Snow Removal? #9  
We don't get all that much snow here, but usually 2 or 3 times a year I go clear off lots. Usually use a skidsteer but last year I used a tractor and box blade. It worked great on less than 3 inches of snow. Any more than that, I'd rather have a loader. Can't lift it and pile it up like you can with a loader. Or push it into a pile like a snow plow. When you have alot of snow to pile, you just have to make lower, but longer piles and drive over em. At least that's my way. Maybe somebody has a handier way I can try

/ How effective is a Box Blade for Snow Removal? #10  
We don't get all that much snow here, but usually 2 or 3 times a year I go clear off lots. Usually use a skidsteer but last year I used a tractor and box blade. It worked great on less than 3 inches of snow. Any more than that, I'd rather have a loader. Can't lift it and pile it up like you can with a loader. Or push it into a pile like a snow plow. When you have alot of snow to pile, you just have to make lower, but longer piles and drive over em. At least that's my way. Maybe somebody has a handier way I can try

I think you are going to use that blower a lot this winter the way all the forcasters are predicting. At least you bought it already as the price is always going up!