Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310,

Default Re: Gas Generator Tip

Quote Originally Posted by sargex595 View Post
    I recently bought a generator and after running it, I shut the fuel off and run it until it starts to spit and sputter and then shut if off. I'm afraid that if I let it run until to finally dies, it might cause damage. I do use stabilizer but my main concern is if I'm leaving too much gas left in the carburetor. Is it safe to run it until it stops on it's own or should I continue doing it the way I have. I do let it spit and sputter for 20-30 seconds before I shut it off. By spit and sputter I mean when the motor starts to die but then picks back up. I'm not sure how long this would contiune. Thanks, Curt.
    I would not be at all surprised if someone here comes up with some reason why you shouldn't do that.

But, I can tell you I do it every time I shut my generator down. And it's 12 years old.

Not only do I turn off the fuel, but I put the choke partially on to make it suck harder, so I get every drop of fuel out of the carb.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat T200

I use AvGas in all my non-catalyst engines. I keep two containers, one straight and one blended with two stroke oil. Never worry about getting chain saws, trimmers, blowers or generators to start.

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by sargex595 View Post
    I recently bought a generator and after running it, I shut the fuel off and run it until it starts to spit and sputter and then shut if off. I'm afraid that if I let it run until to finally dies, it might cause damage. I do use stabilizer but my main concern is if I'm leaving too much gas left in the carburetor. Is it safe to run it until it stops on it's own or should I continue doing it the way I have. I do let it spit and sputter for 20-30 seconds before I shut it off. By spit and sputter I mean when the motor starts to die but then picks back up. I'm not sure how long this would contiune.

Thanks,
    Curt.
    It seems that dry carbs grow crystals after gasohol. I have good results using 2 stroke premix to shut an engine down. This leaves a slight oil residue that seems to protect. Run the carb completely out if you can. Use the choke to keep it going as long as possible. It wont cause any damage. Only prolonged lean conditions under load are risky in ordinary engines.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    John Deere 318 & 110

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK View Post
    It seems that dry carbs grow crystals after gasohol. I have good results using 2 stroke premix to shut an engine down. This leaves a slight oil residue that seems to protect.
    This explains the mercruiser winter storage instructions I follow for the boats. I run the motor until hot, disconnect the fuel line, and run out the remaining fuel mixed with 2-stroke oil while spraying fogging oil in the carb or the TBI. I guess it's supposed to leave the motor a little oily for the winter. Smokes a little the first time in the spring for a few but doesn't fowl the plugs.

However, my small garden tractors I put in fuel stabilizer and I run 'em at least once a month until hot to keep 'em wet and ready to run in case I want to use. However the push mower and other small engines I always just run them out of fuel. I wonder about using fogging oil on these but I never have. Generator I keep full of stabilized ethanol fuel, but I run it periodically and rotate old fuel out into the wife's vehicle.

I don't know if that's the best way, but it's what I've been doing.

Tractor
    John Deere X595

Rgds, D. thanks for the information. I have been running it at least once a month but will start to leave the carb full. It does make sense. It's also good to know that I won't damage the engine if I do run the carb out.

Thanks again,
    Curt.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

Hey, no problem Curt. Esp. something like a generator, we all want 'em to run, no questions asked !

There's been a good discussion about this, in this thread. You can see some of the variables at play - engine design, local conditions (temp, humidity), fuel characteristics, and operating habits. What works for someone, may not work elsewhere - the trick is to find a routine that works for your location, and stick to it religiously !

At least, until the fuel supply gets "optimized" again. E15 sounds like it is coming to parts of the USA, guessing CA first. Once the push comes from Washington, it will only be a matter of time till I see it here (Canada). This is one of the reasons I researched and chase down Startron earlier this year. I presently use Startron all the time, year round, in my small engines.

Here's hoping for no more than 2 pull Starts !

Rgds D.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, BX22

Something to consider with AV Gas 100LL is that it runs hotter. As a part of my job I get to fly. The plane is kept in an unheated hanger & is moved in & out with a 5 hp B&S powered "Tug". As a part of the pre-flight we check the fuel for water by pulling a couple of ounces out of the wings sump. Rather than toss this on the ground we would put it in the tug. Makes sense, good gas, need gas for tug, use it up right? Not so much. One day the tug just wouldn't start, no compression. We took it to a small engine guy & we had egged the cylinder out so bad it couldn't even be sleeved. When he asked how we had done it we didn't know. He asked what kind of gas we used & we told him "AV Gas 100LL". Most small engines are designed for 87 octane fuel, not 100LL. We had burned not just the cylinder but the piston & rings as well, new motor. Now we keep a gallon of 87 just for the tug & the 100 LL goes on the ground.

Clear Dark Skies
    Trafficman
    39.138274 -77.168898
    Alt 518ft ASL

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by nybirdman View Post
    If you have marinas close by they with have non-ethanol gas at a premium of course.
    Here in Indiana this was our only source but since Jan 1st that has been taken away also. I run Avgas in all my 2 cycle things but other stuff just gets a good dose of Marine Grade Stabil. The red stuff is junk. The marine stuff is Blue or Black and is 10 times better. It comes in containers that treat 80 gallons for about $7 and is worth every penny.

Chris

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by TimberXX View Post
    I filled up at the marina a month ago, and was shocked that Valvetech marine fuel is now E10, they held out for a long time, but they fell. You pay a premium for their fuel, now I don't see the difference between them and land stations with some additives.

Same here. Sucks!

Chris

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123