Gas Generator Tip

/ Gas Generator Tip #1  

MyJoBota

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L5740
We have a couple gas generators that are stored away 99% percent of the time. When we do use them we need them to work right now with out issues. One of the biggest problems with long term storage is fuel problems related to the ethanol. The best thing that we found to alleviate this issue is to not run fuel with ethanol. We run aviation fuel in our generators. Aviation fuel is ethanol free, and has a little higher octane rating than auto fuel and there for will store much longer than fuel with eethanol with. We started using aviation fuel several years ago and have great success. Our generators start and run great on this fuel even after being stored for 26 months with the av gas in them. Fuel costs are only slightly higher using av fuel considering the amount used to power a generator. We buy our fuel at the local airport and when we fuel dads plane we might take a 5 gallon fuel can to fill just for generators so their ready for the next time.

/ Gas Generator Tip #2  
I'm starting to see a few outlets in our area where non ethanol gas can be purchased. I wish there was one closer than 15 miles from home.

/ Gas Generator Tip #3  
I always look for gas stations that sale non ethanol gasoline.

/ Gas Generator Tip #4  
Where I live here in middle Georgia there are a couple of Pure stations that sale "non ethanol" gasoline. I always use this fuel in my generator.

/ Gas Generator Tip #5  
Auto gas $3.50/gal Aviation fuel $6.00/gal. That's significant.

I ran my generator on auto gas for 12 hours this week, it cost me $32.00. That was enough for me.

I keep fuel stabilizer in it. I always close the fuel valve and run it out of fuel, before putting it away. And I always make sure that I put fresh fuel in it, if I use it. That has worked for 12 years in my generator.

You should never let a generator sit for years without running it. Even if it starts, it may no longer produce power.

Most generators have magnets that can become demagnetized over time. This is why manufacturers recommend you run them for 30 minutes, at monthly intervals.

I always run mine at least every 6 months. So far, that has been often enough.

Avgas has a much longer shelf life, but it still isn't forever.

Be aware that both you and the airport are violating federal law, If you allow 100LL avgas to be used in anything other than an aircraft.

/ Gas Generator Tip #6  
There are several non-ethanol gas stations around here. Most of us use them for all our small engine equipment - lawn mowers, generators, weed wackers... And particularly chain saws. The difference is dramatic in many cases, and the equipment lasts much longer.

Ethanol is a foolish additive for many reasons - not the least the impact it's subsidized production has on our food prices. But it was a political decision all the way, without thought for ultimate impacts.

/ Gas Generator Tip #8  
No ethanol in any of my small engines but I do let some of them like my pump and generator sit way too long between start ups.

/ Gas Generator Tip #9  
It is advertized here in upper/lower Michigan as ' recreational ' fuel.... I fire mine up every year or so and bring it up to temperature, then drain tank and run it dry... That way I know the field it still working, and keeps me somewhat familiar in running it when I have to drag it out when I really need it.... Below is ONE of the links you will get if you search the net on reenergizing your field it you wait too long... :)

http://www.endtimesreport.com/dead_gen.html

/ Gas Generator Tip #10  
If you have marinas close by they with have non-ethanol gas at a premium of course.