Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota Grand L5740

Default Gas Generator Tip

We have a couple gas generators that are stored away 99% percent of the time. When we do use them we need them to work right now with out issues. One of the biggest problems with long term storage is fuel problems related to the ethanol. The best thing that we found to alleviate this issue is to not run fuel with ethanol. We run aviation fuel in our generators. Aviation fuel is ethanol free, and has a little higher octane rating than auto fuel and there for will store much longer than fuel with eethanol with. We started using aviation fuel several years ago and have great success. Our generators start and run great on this fuel even after being stored for 26 months with the av gas in them. Fuel costs are only slightly higher using av fuel considering the amount used to power a generator. We buy our fuel at the local airport and when we fuel dads plane we might take a 5 gallon fuel can to fill just for generators so their ready for the next time.
    MyJoBota

Tractor
    Bobcat S185 skid steer - Ferris IS500Z - JD GT235

Default Re: Gas Generator Tip

I'm starting to see a few outlets in our area where non ethanol gas can be purchased. I wish there was one closer than 15 miles from home.
    Todd

Also - E Terra E 60 SSQA backhoe • Erskine 73" blower •TSC QA boom pole • Bradco 48" forks • JLG T350 Boom Lift • 1997 Ford F Super Duty 7.3 Powerstroke w/ Altec AT 200A bucket • CAM Superline 6x12 dump • Kristi 7x18 enclosed • American Hauler 7x14 enclosed

Tractor
    Kubota L3240

I always look for gas stations that sale non ethanol gasoline.

Tractor
    Kubota L3240

Where I live here in middle Georgia there are a couple of Pure stations that sale "non ethanol" gasoline. I always use this fuel in my generator.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310, Toro Reelmaster 5100D

Auto gas $3.50/gal Aviation fuel $6.00/gal. That's significant.

I ran my generator on auto gas for 12 hours this week, it cost me $32.00. That was enough for me.

I keep fuel stabilizer in it. I always close the fuel valve and run it out of fuel, before putting it away. And I always make sure that I put fresh fuel in it, if I use it. That has worked for 12 years in my generator.

You should never let a generator sit for years without running it. Even if it starts, it may no longer produce power.

Most generators have magnets that can become demagnetized over time. This is why manufacturers recommend you run them for 30 minutes, at monthly intervals.

I always run mine at least every 6 months. So far, that has been often enough.

Avgas has a much longer shelf life, but it still isn't forever.

Be aware that both you and the airport are violating federal law, If you allow 100LL avgas to be used in anything other than an aircraft.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038E

There are several non-ethanol gas stations around here. Most of us use them for all our small engine equipment - lawn mowers, generators, weed wackers... And particularly chain saws. The difference is dramatic in many cases, and the equipment lasts much longer.

Ethanol is a foolish additive for many reasons - not the least the impact it's subsidized production has on our food prices. But it was a political decision all the way, without thought for ultimate impacts.

Try getting ethanol free gas in CA - not happening without a LONG drive.

Here is a search for non-ethanol gas stations.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
    2009 Kubota M7040, R1s, LA1153 FEL, fork lift, 3 rear remotes, T&T
    2002 Kubota L48 TLB, 12", 18", 24" HD buckets
    2001 Kubota BX2200, Turf, LA211 FEL
    7.5' Howse 3PT disc, 88" Gearmore 4G4 box scraper, 4' box scraper, Gearmore GB85 blade, LandPride RCR2596 cutter, 6', 4' flail mowers, 6', 4' rototiller, 4' Bush Hog cutter, HD subsoiler, Bearcat 70554 chipper, Bush Hog PHD w/ 12", 6" augers, Ford 101 3-bottom plow, 8' land leveler, 6' rake, lots of misc.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4200

No ethanol in any of my small engines but I do let some of them like my pump and generator sit way too long between start ups.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5035, JD 2240, 420

It is advertized here in upper/lower Michigan as ' recreational ' fuel.... I fire mine up every year or so and bring it up to temperature, then drain tank and run it dry... That way I know the field it still working, and keeps me somewhat familiar in running it when I have to drag it out when I really need it.... Below is ONE of the links you will get if you search the net on reenergizing your field it you wait too long...

http://www.endtimesreport.com/dead_gen.html

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

If you have marinas close by they with have non-ethanol gas at a premium of course.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast