Cold Start Video - Is this good?

/ Cold Start Video - Is this good? #1  

Fordiesel69

Tractor
New Holland Boomer 30
New Holland Boomer 37 Deg Cold Start - YouTube

It started instantly at 37 degrees F. Will this be good for the winter with no block heater? We usually see mid teens for night temps and usually one to three days in the single digits here in erie pa.

Amazingly no white smoke after startup, like other diesels I have been around.

/ Cold Start Video - Is this good? #2  
Sounded fine to me. And only time will tell about the necessity of a block heater(all engines are different), but it should be fine.

/ Cold Start Video - Is this good?
Would using Shell Rotella 5w-40 be better for the engine over the 15w-40 the book specs for the engine? I am thinking better oil flow with the "5".

/ Cold Start Video - Is this good?
Anyone? Opinions on 5w-40 vs 15w-40 for winter starting without a block heater?

/ Cold Start Video - Is this good? #5  
5-40 will definitely be easier on the starter and battery. I don't plug mine in until it's below 5F, and it starts fine, but it is a daedong....

/ Cold Start Video - Is this good? #6  
Sorry, no info on the oil but I can say it sounds fine on start up. My skid steer sounds pretty rough on cold start, it starts on the first turn but the idle goes from 1200RPM down to 500-700RPM, then back up to 1300RPM before it levels off. I will have to video it when I get a chance. It did that this morning also in 37*F temp, I think I will need a block heater soon.

/ Cold Start Video - Is this good? #7  
Although farther South than you our average temperatures are about the same. I run 15-40 in mine year round and no problems. Your Boomer seems to start fine, you will find in colder temps you will likely have to cylce the glow plugs more than once. When it get down around freezing, I cycle them twice, turn key and wait for light to go out then turn key off and back on again the let the timer reset. Down to around 20 I'll hold glow plug in manual (key to let on the Bobcats) for about 30 - 45 seconds the turn key on let it go thru normal pre-heat cycle. One nice aspect of the Daedong (Bobcat & Kitoti) is the after start glow plug. Once it starts the glow plug timer comes back on for another 20 seconds to help warm combustion chamber to reduce the cold start knock.

/ Cold Start Video - Is this good? #8  
I used the block heater a few times during the first year I owned my Kioti DK45, but haven't done so since. I starts fine in temps down to -15 or even -20 C, though I often cycle the glow-plugs twice before startup when its that cold (and it seldom gets to -20C here).
BOB

/ Cold Start Video - Is this good? #9  
! live in Erie County also. I have an older ford 1300 and it starts fine with out a block heater. Mine is parked in a unheated pole barn and all I do is preheat it for about thirty seconds and it starts. I use mine to snow blow my driveway and it has never failed me.
Ken

/ Cold Start Video - Is this good? #10  
5-40 will definitely be easier on the starter and battery. I don't plug mine in until it's below 5F, and it starts fine, but it is a daedong....
+1 I run 5W40 in mine for cold starts as well. In theory its a better oil all the time, and you could probably run a bit longer change intervals as well, to offset the extra cost once you are out of warranty.