Ford 2000 mid 60's model.

/ Ford 2000 mid 60's model. #1  

sarrazin

Tractor
ford 2000
Hello,
First I would like to say thanks to the people that welcomed me to the forum.
I have a ford 2000 late 60's model, and the hydraulics seems to have packed in.
I have read on this forum about the filter under the seat, and am trying to get at it. I have undone all the bolts but the top wont budge, and I am reluctant to force it too much in case there is something I am not understanding. Is there any special knack to it, is there anything else I should have removed other than the bolts and the lifting arm?
Sorry if this question has been answered before but I have looked but can't see that there is anything in forum replies which would indicate any specific difficulty.
Thanks.

/ Ford 2000 mid 60's model. #2  
first. the title says mid 60 and the post says late 60.

tere are significant differences in the 3 cyl 65+ models and the prior 4 cyl.

the later have the filter.

you have to remove the perimeter bolts from the top cover , plus any valve banks ontrhe cover, and get the toplink rocker free.

done that?

a 2x4 and bottle jack propped under the elboy of a upper lift arm and a lil pressure usually lets it loose IF you have got all the bolts out.

some prev owner may have plut gasket glue on instead of relying on dry gasket and orings for a seal... and this is why you don't do that :)

post back

/ Ford 2000 mid 60's model.
first. the title says mid 60 and the post says late 60.

tere are significant differences in the 3 cyl 65+ models and the prior 4 cyl.

the later have the filter.

you have to remove the perimeter bolts from the top cover , plus any valve banks ontrhe cover, and get the toplink rocker free.

done that?

a 2x4 and bottle jack propped under the elboy of a upper lift arm and a lil pressure usually lets it loose IF you have got all the bolts out.

some prev owner may have plut gasket glue on instead of relying on dry gasket and orings for a seal... and this is why you don't do that :)

post back

Hello,
Yes, I noticed that I had gone from mid to late after I had posted. The thing is my logbook says one thing and the local dealer another.

It is the 3 cylinder model, so does this mean there is no filter under the seat?

I have removed all the bolts that you mention, and have used a long pry bar to lift the cover, to no avail.

It is possible the cover has either never or at least rarely been lifted as the blue paint on the bolts and around the joint looks undisturbed.

If I don't have a filter then I suppose it must be the pump.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Jim.

/ Ford 2000 mid 60's model. #4  
no, as I mentioned.. the 3 cyl came with a filter.

it is possible the top cover has never been off.. or it's possible someone glued it on.

use the jack and piece of wood and lift up under the elbow of an upper lift arm and get some stiff pressure on it and then just walk away for a while. let mass / gravity be your friend for a bit. do double check that all bolts are out of the perimeter of the top cover. includign those on the hyd blank cover / valve band at the right front.

post back

I did exactly what you said, and the top came off beautifully. Thank you.
I drained all the oil out to see what was there, and I cannot see any filter. The interior is pretty clean and in good condition.
Everything seems OK. There is a bit of sludge here and there, so tomorrow I will flush everything out with diesel and blow through the flow and return pipes with air.
I don't know what else I can do so if that doesn't work I am back to looking at the pump.
Either way, I am grateful for the help as I wouldn't have thought of using a jack to lift the top.
If you can think of anything else I should be doing, please let me know.
Thanks again, and Kind regards,
Jim.

/ Ford 2000 mid 60's model. #6  
clean it out good. someone may have went in there before you and yanked it offalready and not bothered replacing it I guess.

once you got it clean in there, add oil and if you are adventourous.. crnk her up and see if you have flow.. :) might want a piece of cardboard raady as an oil deflector...

yep.. the jack trick usually works for simply stuck gasket. if they are glued on, sometimes you have to drive a paint scraper in there to pop them off.. i try to do other things first to prevent from amring the deck.. though only a small portion of it actually 'seals' oil pressure.

post back

post back

/ Ford 2000 mid 60's model. #8  
the intake is #60

/ Ford 2000 mid 60's model. #9  
I stand corrected and maybe half blind :)

Hi,
Looking more closely, and following the diagram,(thank you for that) there is a filter! It's a lot further in than I thought. It is underneath the 2 shafts, and goes right underneath the axle housing. It is impossible to see but I can feel it with my fingertips.
At the moment I am swilling the housing out with diesel and blowing it with a pressure hose, and trying to reach the filter with a small brush. I can't see how to get it out. What a place to put a filter.
I was wondering, if this doesn't work, if I made a small hole in the suction pipe, before the filter, to give it a bit of help? I know that it is probably sacrilege to do this but when all else fails, why not.I will probably get shot for this if I ever get to the US and meet up with anyone from this forum!
Anyway, I am draining it out as we speak, and having a quick beer, and will repeat the operation in a little while.
The wife is shouting at me as I am covered in oil and sitting in the kitchen. What a life.